α-Ketoglutarate Induced Transamination During Ischemic Exercise
Administration of α-ketoglutarate (KGT) has been reported to reduce lactacidemia both in pathological conditions (Scarlato et al. 1981) and after exercise in normal subjects (Cerretelli et al. 1981). KGT could reduce lactacidemia by increasing the catabolism of pyruvate via either the Krebs cycle or by transamination. To discriminate between those two possibilities we investigated the effect of IV administration of KGT in subjects performing a standard ischemic work. As reported by Munsat (1970) ligation of the arm while performing a squeezing exercise with the hand blocks the utilization of pyruvate by the Krebs cycle. If KGT reduces lactacidemia favoring pyruvate utilization by the Krebs cycle, then administration of KGT should not change the blood level of lactate after exercise. Our results suggest that this is not the case.
KeywordsPyruvic Acid Krebs Cycle Urea Cycle Ammonia Production Ischemic Exercise
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cerretelli, S., Marconi, C., and Sassi, G., 1981, The effects of pyridoxine alphaketoglutarate on human maximal aerobic and anaerobic performance. Europ. J. Physiol. in press.Google Scholar
- Czok, R., Lamprecht, W., 1974, in, W., 1974, in “Methoden der Enzymatischen Analyse”, Verlag Chemie Weinheim, p 1491.Google Scholar
- Munsat, T.L., 1970, A standardized forearm ischemic exercise test, Neurology 20: 1178.Google Scholar
- Nemni, R., Mitsumoto, H., Bradley, W.G., 1981, Morphological and biochemical analysis in chronic progressive external ophthalmoplegia, J. Neuropathol. Exptl. Neurol. 40: 350.Google Scholar
- Noll, F., 1974, in, F., 1974, in “Methoden der Enzymatischen Analyse” Verlag Chemie, Weinheim, p 1521.Google Scholar
- Reichelt, K.L., Kvamme, E., Tveit, B., 1964, The enzymatic determination of ammonia in blood and tissue, Scan. J. Clin. Inv. 16: 433.Google Scholar
- Robin, E.D., Hance, A.J., 1980, Skeletal muscle as a facultative anaerobic system. in “Exercise Bioenergetic and Gas Exchange” P. Cerretelli and B.J. Whipp eds. Elsevier Amsterdam p 101.Google Scholar
- Scarlato, G., Pellegrini, G., Moggio, M., 1981, Treatment of ophthalmoplegia plus with a-Ketoglutarate, J. Neurol. in press.Google Scholar
- Stumpf, D.A., Parks, J.K., 1980, Urea cycle regulation: Coupling of ornithine methabolism to mitochondrial oxidative phosphor-ilation, Neurology 30: 178.Google Scholar