Evolution Worldwide of Renal Replacement Therapy in Diabetes
The numbers of patients entering renal replacement therapy (RRT) with diabetic nephropathy as their primary disease continues to rise worldwide, although there is some suggestion that the rate of increase may be declining in the USA. However, long term survival of patients on RRT remains much less good for diabetic compared to non-diabetic recipients , although short term (one year) mortality adjusted for age has declined by 39% in the decade 1984–94 in the USA .
KeywordsDiabetic Patient Diabetic Nephropathy Peritoneal Dialysis Renal Replacement Therapy United States Renal Data System
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.United States Renal Data System 1997 — Annual Data Report. V Patient mortality and survival. Am. J. Kid Dis. 1997; 30: suppl 1: S86–106.Google Scholar
- 4.United States Renal Data System 1997 — Annual Data Report. XIII Analytical methods. Am. J. Kid. Dis. 1997; 30: suppl 1: S195–213.Google Scholar
- 5.Shinzato T, Nakai S, Akiba T et al. Current status of renal replacement therapy in Japan: results of the annual survey of the Japanese society for dialysis therapy. Nephrol Dial. Transplant 1997; 12: 889–898.Google Scholar
- 7.United States Renal Data System 1997 — Annual Data Report. XII International comparisons of ESRD therapy. Am. J. Kid Dis. 1997; 30: suppl 1: S187–94.Google Scholar
- 11.Catalano C, Postorino M, Kelly P J et al. Diabetes mellitus and renal replacement therapy in Italy: prevalence, main characteristics and complications. Nephrol. Dial. Transplant 1995; 788–96.Google Scholar
- 18.Khanna R. Dialysis considerations for diabetic patients. Kidney Int 1993; 43: suppl 40: S 58-S64.Google Scholar
- 19.United States Renal Data System 1997 — Annual Data Report III Treatment modalities for ESRD patients. Am. J. Kid. Dis. 1997; 30: suppl 1: S54–66.Google Scholar
- 20.United States Renal Data System 1997 — Annual Data Report. VI Causes of death. Am. J. Kid Dis. 1997; 30: suppl 1:S107– S117.Google Scholar
- 25.Viberti GC, Mogensen CE, Passa P, Bilous R, Mangili R. St Vincent Declaration, 1994: Guidelines for the prevention of diabetic renal failure. In, The kidney and hypertension in diabetes mellitus, second ed, Mogensen CE ed Boston, Dordrecht, London: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1994; pp 515–527.CrossRefGoogle Scholar