An analog synthesis technique for VHDL-AMS behavioral descriptions of very high-frequency filters is described. The technique is based on automatic netlist extraction from VHDL-AMS parse trees. The primary application of this work is automated synthesis of high-frequency filter blocks in analog or mixed-signal ASIC designs. The technique is demonstrated with two practical examples — the first is a second-order, 1 GHz bandpass silicon LC filter, and the second example is a 4th order lowpass Chebyshev filter. Both examples gives an optimized result which are tailored to the specifications.
KeywordsParse Tree Analog Filter Automate Synthesis Filter Synthesis Spiral Inductor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Li, D., Tsividis, Y., “Active LC filters on silicon”, Circuits, Devices and Systems, IEE Proceedings, 147, (1), Feb. 2000, pp. 49–56.Google Scholar
- Duncan, R.A., Martin, K., and Sedra, A., “A Q-enhanced active-RLC bandpass filter”, IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems II, Analog and Digital Signal Processing, 1997, 44, (5), pp. 341–347.Google Scholar
- Gao, W., and Snelgrove, W.M., “A linear integrated LC bandpass filter with Q-enhancement”, IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems II, Analog and Digital Signal Processing, 1998, 45, (5), pp. 635–639.Google Scholar
- Kuhn, W.B., Yanduru, N.K., and Wyszynski, A.S., “A high dynamic range, digitally tuned, Q-enhanced LC bandpass filter for cellular/PCS receivers”, Proceedings of IEEE Radio Frequency Integrated Circuits Symposium, 1998, pp. 261–264.Google Scholar
- Design Automation Standards Committee of the IEEE Computer Society, “IEEE standard VHDL analog and mixed-signal extensions”, IEEE Std 1076. 1–1999, 23 Dec. 1999.Google Scholar
- Christen, E., Bakalar, K., “VHDL-AMS - a hardware description language for analog and mixed-signal applications”, IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems II: Analog and Digital Signal Processing, 46, (10), Oct. 1999, pp. 1263 —1272.Google Scholar
- Doboli, A., and Vemuri, R., “The Definition of a VHDL-AMS Subset for Behavioral Synthesis of Analog Systems”, 1998 IEEENIUF International Workshop on Behavioral Modeling and Simulation (BMAS’98), Oct 1998.Google Scholar
- Vemuri, R., Nunez-Aldana, A., Dhanwada, N., Doboli, A., Campisi, P., Ganesan, S. “Analog System Performance Estimation in the VASE”, Proc. EETimes Analog And Mixed-Signal Applications Conference, pp. 65–70, July 1998.Google Scholar
- Doboli, A., Dhanwada, N., Nunez-Aldana, A., Ganesan, S., Vemuri, R., “Behavioral Synthesis of Analog Systems using Two-Layered Design Space Exploration”, Proceedings of the 36th Design Automation Conference, June 1999.Google Scholar
- Lee, T.H., The Design of CMOS Radio-Frequency Integrated Circuit, Cambridge University Press, 1998.Google Scholar
- Yue, C. P., Ryu, C., Lau, J., Lee, T. H., Wong, S. S., “A Physical Model for Planar Spiral Inductors on Silicon,” IEDM Proceedings, December 1996.Google Scholar
- Star-HSPICE Manual, Avant!, Release 2000. 2.Google Scholar
- Kuhn, W.B., Stephenson, F.W., and Elshabini-Riad, A., “A 200 MHz CMOS Q-Enhanced LC Bandpass Filter”, IEEE Journal Solid-State Circuits, 1996, 31, (8), pp. I 112–1121.Google Scholar