Effect of Amino Acid Imbalance on Polyribosome Profiles and Protein Synthesis in Fetal Cerebral Cortex
Numerous “inborn errors” of amino acid metabolism have been described (15,22). Most of these are associated with clinical disease of varying severity. For example, while maple syrup urine disease is usually rapidly fatal (14) phenylketonuria is competible with relative longevity (10). In most instances, the inherited metabolic block in the amino acid(s) involved has been well defined. However, the pathogensis of the various clinical syndromes is less well delineated.
KeywordsAmino Acid Metabolism Fetal Brain Amino Acid Concentration Maternal Plasma Maple Syrup Urine Disease
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- (1).Alvord, E. C., Stevenson, L. O., Vogel, E. S. and Egle, R. L.: Neuropathological findings in phenylpyruvic oligophrenia (phenyl-ketonuria).J. Neuropath. Exp. Neurol. 9, 298 (1950).Google Scholar
- (4).Baxter, C. F. and Tewari, S.: Regulation by amino acids of protein synthesis from immature rat brain: stimulatory effect of y-aminobutyric acid and glycine in Protein Metabolism of the Nervous System. Lajtha, A. (editor), New York, Plenum Press (1970) Page 439.Google Scholar
- (8).Ghadimi, H. and Pecora, P.: Free amino acids of cord plasma as compared with maternal plasma during pregnancy. Pediatrics 33, 500 (1964a).Google Scholar
- (9).Hsia, D. Y. Y.: Phenylketonuria: clinical, genetic and biochemical aspects. Warsaw Congress Proceedings of the International Association for Scientific Study of Mental Deficiency. (in press)Google Scholar
- (11).Lowry, O. H., Rosebrough, N. J., Farr, A. L. and Randall, R. J.: Protein measurement with Folin phenol reagent. J. Biol. Chem. 193, 365 (1951).Google Scholar
- (13).Medredev, Zh A.: Protein Biosynthesis and Problems of Heredity, Development and Ageing Edinburgh, Oliver and Boyd (1966).Google Scholar
- (14).Menkes, J. H., Hurst, P. L. and Craig, J. M.: A new syndrome: progressive familial cerebral dysfunction with an unusual urine substance Pediatrics 14, 462 (1954).Google Scholar
- (15).Nyhan, W. L. (editor): Amino Acid Metabolism and Genetic Variation, New York, McGraw-Hill Book Company (1967).Google Scholar
- (22).Stanbury, J. B., Wyngaarden, J. B. and Fredrickson, D. S. (editors): The Metabolic Basis of Inherited Diseases. New York, McGraw-Hill Book Company (1966), pages 258–420.Google Scholar