Analysis of Frequency-Dependent Transmission Lines Using Rational Approximation and Recursive Convolution
In this study, we present an accurate and efficient analysis technique of frequency-dependent transmission line system using scattering parameters. First, low-order rational approximations of the scattering parameters are derived over a wide frequency range using robust interpolation technique. An appropriate reference system is also chosen to make the scattering waveforms smooth and simple. Then, the low-order rational approximations of the scattering parameters are directly implemented in conventional time-domain simulator using recursive convolution. To validate the accuracy and the efficiency of the method, the transient analyses of a coaxial cable with skin-effect parameters and an interconnect network with a component characterized by measured scattering parameters are presented.
KeywordsMicrowave Liner Convolution Aliasing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.N. Orhassovic, and V. K. Tripathi, “Nonlinear transient analysis of coupled RLGC lines by the method of characteristics,’ International Journal of Microwave and Millimeter-Wave CAE. vol. 2. no. 2. 1992.Google Scholar
- 3.A. Djordjevic, T. Sarkar, and R. Harrington. “Analysis of lossy transrrussion lines with arbitrary nonlinear rerminations,” IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Technology, vol. 34, no. 6, June 1986.Google Scholar
- 4.E. Schutt-Aint and R Mitira,” Nonlinear transient analysts of coupled transmission tines,” IEEE Transactions on Circuirs and Systems, vol. 36, no. 7, pp. 959–967, July 1989.Google Scholar
- 5.D. Winklesieia, M. B. StccF, imd R. Pomcrleau, “Simulation of arbitrary tr4msssiisaion line networks with nonlinear terminations, ” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems. vol. 38, no. 4. pp. 418–422, April 1991.Google Scholar
- 6.J. Bracken, V. Raghavan, and R. Rohrer, “Interconnect simulation with asymptotic waveform evaluation (AWE),” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems, vol. CAS-39, no, II, pp. 869–878, November 1992.Google Scholar
- 7.E. Chiprout and M. S. Nakhla, “Transient waveform estimation of high-speed MCM networks using complex frequency hopping,” in Proceedings of Multi-Chip Module Conference ( MCMC ). March 1993. pp. 134–139.Google Scholar
- 9.W. T. Beyene. “Model-order redoction techniques for circuits and interconnects simulation,” Ph.D. dissertation, Department of Electrical and Computer Engincenng, University of Illinoii at Urbana- Champaign, 1997.Google Scholar
- 10.G. W Stewart, Introduction so Morris Computations. NY: Academic Press, Inc., 1973.Google Scholar
- 11.D. B. Kuznetsov and I. E. Sehutt-Aine, “Optimal transient simulation of transmission lines,” IEEE Tran.sacrions on Circuits and Systems-?: Fundamental Theory and Applications, vol. 43, no. 2, February 1996.Google Scholar
- 12.S. 1.-in and E. S. Koh, “Transient simulation of lossy interconnects based on the recursive convolution formulation,” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems-I. vol. 39, no, 11, pp. 879–892, November 1992.Google Scholar
- 13.1.B. Schuts-Aind, “Static Analysis of V Transmission Lines,” IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques. vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 2151–2156, April 1992.Google Scholar