Magnetomechanical Stimulation of Mesenchymal Cells
The method presented in this article for the mechanical stimulation of cells via specific receptors was adapted from the method of Wang and Ingber.1,2 Unlike most current methods which apply strain to the cell as a whole, our method is able to determine the specific receptors involved in stress transduction. The stress is applied using ferromagnetic microbeads coated with receptor-specific ligands. After adhesion to cells, the beads are magnetized and then “twisted” using a magnetic field oriented perpendicular to the magnetizing field. This method was applied to osteoblastic cells, and it could be shown that mechanical stress on integrin receptors induces specific tyrosine phosphorylation.
KeywordsMesenchymal Cell Focal Adhesion Kinase Osteoblastic Cell Fluid Shear Stress Coated Bead
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.James NL, Harrison DG, Nerem RM (1995). Effects of shear on endothelial cell calcium in the presence and absence of ATP.FASEB Journal 9, 968–973.Google Scholar
- 6.Basdra EK, Huber LA, Komposch G, Papavassiliou AG (1994). Mechanical loading triggers specific biochemical responses in mandibular chondrocytes.Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 1222, 315–322.Google Scholar
- 9.Lambert CA, Soudant EP, Nusgens BV, Lapiere CM (1992). Pretranslational regulation of extracellular matrix macromolecules and collagenase expression in fibroblasts by mechanical force.Laboratory Investigation 66, 444–451.Google Scholar
- 13.Kimmel DB (1993). A paradigm for skeletal strength homeostasis.Journal of Bone and Mineral Research 8, Suppl. 2, S515 - S522.Google Scholar
- 15.Albelda SM, Buck CA (1990). Integrins and other cell adhesion molecules.FASEB Journal 4, 2868–2880.Google Scholar
- 17.Giancotti FG, Mainiero F (1994). Integrin-mediated adhesion and signaling in tumorgenesis.Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 1198, 47–64.Google Scholar
- 22.Klein-Nulend J, van der Plas A, Semeins CM, Ajubi NE, Frangos JA, Nijweide PJ, Burger EH (1995). Sensitivity of osteocytes to biomechanical stress in vitro.FASEB Journal 9, 441–445.Google Scholar
- 23.Carvalho RS, Scott JE, Suga DM, Yen EHK (1994). Stimulation of signal transduction pathways in osteoblasts by mechanical strain potentiated by parathyroid hormone.Journal of Bone and Mineral Research 7, 999–1011.Google Scholar
- 24.Kollros PR, Bates SR, Mathews MB, Horwitz AL, Glagov S (1987). Cyclic AMP inhibits increased collagen production by cyclically stretched smooth muscle cells.Laboratory Investigation 56, 410–417.Google Scholar
- 25.Schwartz MA, Cragoe EJ, Lechene CP (1990). pH regulation in spread cells and round cells.Journal of Biological Chemistry 265, 1327–1332.Google Scholar