Nothing in Schumpeter’s writings is more familiar and more commonly mentioned than his “creative destruction.” Arguably the term is as well known as Adam Smith’s “invisible hand.” One central difference between the two, however, is that creative destruction is a real economic actuality. The invisible hand is a manner of speaking.
KeywordsMarket Economy Hazardous Waste Site Visit Environmental Remediation Creative Destruction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Daly, Herman E. “The Circular Flow of Exchange Value and the Linear Throughput of Matter-Energy: A Case of Misplaced Concreteness,” Review of Social Economy, December 1985.Google Scholar
- Dempsey, S.J., Bernard W. The Functional Economy: The Bases of Economic Organization, Englewood Cliffs NJ: Prentice-Hall, Inc., 1958.Google Scholar
- Drucker, Peter F. Innovation and Entrepreneurship: Practice and Principles, New York: Harper and Row, Publishers, 1985.Google Scholar
- Louisiana Department of Employment Security. Special listing of Louisiana employers covered by the state unemployment insurance program, by address, two-digit SIC, and employment.Google Scholar
- Marshall, Alfred. Principles of Economics, New York: The MacMillan Company, 1948.Google Scholar
- Ong, Walter J. Fighting for Life: Contest, Sexuality, and Consciousness, Ithaca: Cornell University Press, 1981.Google Scholar
- Renard, S.J. Henri. The Philosophy of Being, Milwaukee: The Bruce Publishing Company, 1957.Google Scholar
- Schumpeter, Joseph A. Capitalism, Socialism, and Democracy, New York: Harper and Brothers Publishers, 1950.Google Scholar
- Schumpeter, Joseph A. The Theory of Economic Development: An Inquiry into Profits, Capital, Credit, Interest, and the Business Cycle, introduction by John E. Elliott, New Brunswick: Transactions Books, 1983.Google Scholar
- U.S. Census Bureau. Decennial Census of the Population: 1990, summary tape files.Google Scholar
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. Handbook: Vitrification Technologies for Treatment of Hazardous and Radioactive Waste, Cincinnati: EPA/625/R-92/002, May 1992.Google Scholar
- Zellner, Wendy and others. “Women Entrepreneurs,” Business Week, April 18, 1994.Google Scholar