Models of Connective Tissue Disease
The pathogenesis of rheumatic diseases remains an enigma. Errors of immunologic regulatory mechanisms seem to be involved.1 However, even when an inducer of disease, such as the Streptococcus in acute rheumatic fever or Shigella, Salmonella, or Yersinia in spondyloarthritis, has finally been identified, the effector or suppressor mechanisms that lead to or prevent the subsequent development of the disease or which cause it to remit remain obscure. Genetic, infectious, and immunologic factors can usually all be implicated. The relationships between these various influences on the pathogenesis of a disease are extremely complex. Animals provide useful models for studying these interactions (Table 9.1).
KeywordsKawasaki Disease Connective Tissue Disease Adjuvant Arthritis Acute Rheumatic Fever Equine Viral Arteritis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Chess L: Cellular immunology. In: Cohen AS (ed.) The Science and Practice of Clinical Medicine, vol. 4. Grune and Stratton, New York, 1979, pp. 378–388.Google Scholar
- 5.Norton WL: Aleutian mink and New Zealand mice models of viral induced connective tissue disease. Rheumatology (Basel) 3:194–223, 1970; The Immunochemistry and Biochemistry of Connective Tissue and its Disease States. Karger, Basel, München, New York.Google Scholar
- 7.Whaley K, Hughes GRV, Webb J: Systemic lupus erythematosus in man and animals. In: Buchanan WW, Dick WC (eds.) Recent Advances in Rheumatology, vol. 1. Churchill Livingstone, New York, 1976, pp. 67–136.Google Scholar
- 8.Talal N: Disordered immunologic regulation and autoimmunity. Trans Rev 31: 240263, 1976.Google Scholar
- 9.Steinberg AD, Reinertsen JL: Lupus in New Zealand mice and in dogs. Bull Rheum Dis 28: 940–947, 1978.Google Scholar
- 11.Mikkelsen WM (ed.): Twenty-third rheumatism review. Arthritis Rheum 21 (Suppl. 8): R177–R196, 1978.Google Scholar
- 13.Pearson CM: Arthritis in animals. In: McCarty DU (ed.) Arthritis and Allied Conditions, 9th ed. Lea and Febiger, Philadelphia, 1979, pp. 308–319.Google Scholar
- 20.Steinberg J, Tsukamoto S, Sledge CB: A tissue culture model of cartilage breakdown in rheumatoid arthritis. III. Effects of antirheumatic drugs. Arthritis Rheum 22: 877885, 1979.Google Scholar
- 21.Schwartz ER, Greenwald RA: Experimental models of osteoarthritis. Bull Rheum Dis 30: 1030–1033, 1980.Google Scholar