After the general description of the influence of noise on oscillations given in the previous chapter, a general treatment of noise in first-order oscillators is presented in this chapter. Earlier, descriptions of the influence of noise in oscillators in general and first-order oscillators specifically were given by Hajimiri and Lee, Verhoeven, and others, in [1, 2, 4–7, 9, 13–17]. Now, better methods are present for describing the noise behavior of first-order oscillators specifically. Insight has evolved and the theory described in  has been extended. The noise behavior of second-order oscillators is covered in Chapter 6.
KeywordsDuty Cycle Noise Source Noise Model Sampling Action Noise Component
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- C.A.M. Boon, I.W.J.M. Rutten, and E.H. Nordholt. Modeling the phase noise of RC multivibrators. Proceedings Midwest Symposium on Circuits and Systems (Morgantown, U.S.A), pages 421–424, 1984.Google Scholar
- J. Brown and E.V.D. Glazier. Telecommunications. Chapman and Hall, 1966.Google Scholar
- J.H. Huijsing et al. Analog Circuit Design. Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1996.Google Scholar
- S.L.J. Gierkink. Control Linearity and Jitter of Relaxation Oscillators. PhD thesis, University of Twente, 1999.Google Scholar
- S.L.J. Gierkink, E.A.M. Klumperink, T.J. Ikkink, and A.J.M. van Tuijl. Reduction of intrinsic 1/f device noise in a CMOS ring oscillator. Proceedings of the 24th European Solid-State Circuits Conference (ESSCIRC), pp.272–275, The Hague, The Netherlands, 1998.Google Scholar
- A. Hajimiri and T.H. Lee. A general theory of phase noise in electrical oscillators. IEEE Journal of Solid State Circuits, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 179194, 1998. ibid., no. 6, pp. 928.Google Scholar
- G.C.M. Meijer, R. van Gelder, V. Nooder, J. van Drecht, and H.M.M. Kerkvliet. A three-terminal wide-range temperature transducer with microcomputer interfacing. Proceedings ESSCIRC, Delft, 1986, pp. 161–163.Google Scholar
- J.G. Sneep and C.J.M. Verhoeven. Design of a low-noise 100-MHz balanced relaxation oscillator. ESSCIRC 1989, Vienna, Austria, 20–22 September 1989.Google Scholar
- A.H.M. van Roermund. Noise and Accuracy in Switched Capacitor Modulation Circuits. PhD thesis, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, 1987.Google Scholar
- C.J.M. Verhoeven. A new model for regenerative circuits. Proc. Midwest Symposium on Circuits and Systems, 1987, pp. 631–634.Google Scholar
- C.J.M. Verhoeven. First-Order Oscillators. PhD thesis, Delft University of Technology, 1990.Google Scholar
- C.J.M. Verhoeven, A. van Staveren, and J.R. Westra. Low-noise oscillators. Proceedings of the workshop Advances in Analog Circuit Design, Villach, Austria, 1995.Google Scholar
- J.R. Westra, C.J.M. Verhoeven, and A. van Staveren. Design principles for low-noise relaxation oscillators. Proceedings Electronics ‘86, Sozopol, Bulgaria, 1996.Google Scholar