The VENICE Model for Wind Wave Prediction
The venice model has been described by Cavaleri and Malanotte Rizzoli (1981). It is a physical model, based on the ray technique, suitable also for shallow-water applications. We will give here only a short description of the model, particularly the part concerned with shallow-water processes. These are not of interest in the actual study because of its deep-water assumption. Readers interested in the details of the model are referred to the paper quoted.
KeywordsWind Field Significant Wave Height Nonlinear Energy Transfer Wave Prediction Model Local Wind Direction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Barnett, T. P., and J. C. Wilkerson (1967): On the generation of ocean wind waves as inferred from airborne radar measurements of fetch-limited spectra. J. Mar. Res. 25, 292.Google Scholar
- Gelci, R., H. Cazalé, and J. Vassal, (1957): Prévision de la houle. La méthode des densités spectroangulaires. Bull. Inform. Comité Central Oceanogr. d’Etude Cötes, 9, 416.Google Scholar
- Hasselmann, K. (1974): On the spectral dissipation of ocean waves due to whitecapping. Boundary — Layer Metorol. 6, 107.Google Scholar
- Hasselmann, K., and J. I. Collins (1968): Spectral classification of finite depth gravity waves due to bottom friction. J., Mar. Res. 26, 1.Google Scholar
- Hasselmann, K., T. P. Barnett, E. Bouws, H. Carlson, D. E. Cartwright, K. Enke, J. A. Ewing, H. Gienapp, D. E. Hasselmann, P. Kruseman, A. Meerburg, P. Müller. D. J. Olbers, K. Richter, W. Sell, and H. Walden (1973): Measurements of wind-wave growth and swell decay during the Joint North Sea Wave Project (JONSwAP), Dtsch. Hydrogr. Z., Suppl. A 8, (12).Google Scholar
- Phillips, O. M. (1966): The Dynamics of the Upper Ocean, Cambridge University Press, London, 261 pp.Google Scholar
- Resio, D. T. and C. L. Vincent (1977a): A numerical hindcast model for wave spectra on water bodies with irregular shoreline geometry. Part I: Test of non-dimensional growth rates. Miscellaneous Paper H-77-9, Hydraulic Laboratory, U. S. Army Engineer Waterways Experiment Station, Vicksburg, Mississippi.Google Scholar
- Resio, D. T. and C. L. Vincent (1977b): A numerical hindcast model for wave spectra on water bodies with irregular shoreline geometry. Part II: Model verification with observed water data. Miscellaneous Paper H-77-9, Hydraulic Laboratory, U. S. Army Engineer Waterways Experiment Station. Vicksburg, Mississippi.Google Scholar