The mri wave model was developed at the Meteorological Research Institute (MRI) for routine wave forecasting at the Japan Meteorological Agency (JMA). It is a slightly modified version of the model discussed by Uji and Isozaki (1972), Isozaki and Uji (1983), and Uji (1975). Wave prediction in the northwestern Pacific Ocean is now in operation using this model with Dx = 381 km and Dt = 6 h. The wind field is calculated using Cardone’s (1969) wind model. The model requires the atmospheric pressure and temperature as well as the temperature at the sea surface. Before the start of the prediction, objectively analyzed atmospheric pressure and temperature are input. The future atmospheric pressure and temperature are prognostically obtained using JMA’s Four-Layer Northern Hemisphere Model. Monthly mean of sea surface temperature based on data covering a period of 15 years are used as sea surface temperature.
KeywordsWind Velocity Wave Height Wave Energy Friction Velocity Wind Wave
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cardone, V. J. (1969): Specification of the wind distribution in the marine boundary layer for wave forecasting. Report GSL-TR69–1, New York University School of Engineering and Science, 131 pp.Google Scholar
- Inoue, T. (1967): On the growth of the spectrum of a wind generated sea according to a modified Miles—Phillips mechanism and its application to forecasting. Report TR-67-5, New York University Geophysical Sciences Laboratory, 74 pp.Google Scholar
- Isozaki, I., and T. Uji (1973): Numerical prediction of ocean waves. Pap. Meteorol. Geophys. 24, 207–232.Google Scholar
- Kuznetsov, O. A. (1970): Results of an experimental investigation of air flow above the sea surface. Izv., Atmos. Ocean. Phys. 6, 469–472.Google Scholar
- Mitsuyasu, H., and S. Mizuno (1971): Experimental study of wave decay caused by opposing winds [in Japanese]. Proc. 18th Conf. Coastal Engineering in Japan, 37–42.Google Scholar
- Uji, T. (1975): Numerical estimation of the sea wave in a typhoon area. Pap. Meteorol. Geophys. 26, 199–217.Google Scholar
- Uji, T., and I. Isozaki (1972): The calculation of wave propagation in the numerical prediction of ocean waves. Pap. Meteorol. Geophys. 23, 347–359.Google Scholar