The AVC with Noiseless Feedback and Maximal Error Probability: A Capacity Formula with a Trichotomy
To use common randomness in coding is a key idea from the theory of identification. Methods and ideas of this theory are shown here to have also an impact on Shannon’s theory of transmission. As indicated in the title, we determine the capacity for a classical channel with a novel structure of the capacity formula. This channel models a robust search problem in the presence of noise (see R. Ahlswede and I. Wegner, Search Problems, Wiley 1987).
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- R. Ahlswede and V.B. Balakirsky, “Identification under random processes”, Preprint 95–098, SFB 343 “Diskrete Strukturen in der Mathematik”, Universität Bielefeld, 1995, Problemy peredachii informatsii, (special issue devoted to M.S. Pinsker), vol.132, no. 1, Jan-March 1996, 144–160.Google Scholar
- R. Ahlswede and N. Cai, “Correlated sources help the transmission over AVC”, Preprint 95–106, SFB 343 “Diskrete Strukturen in der Mathematik”, Universität Bielefeld, 1995, IEEE Trans. Inf. Theory, Vol. IT-43, No. 1, 1997, 37–67.Google Scholar
- R. Ahlswede and I. Csiszár, “Common randomness in information theory and cryptography, Part 1: Secret sharing”, IEEE Trans. Inform. Theory, vol. IT-39, 1993, 1121–1132 and “Part 2: CR capacity”, Preprint 95–101, SFB 343 “Diskrete Strukturen in der Mathematik”, Universität Bielefeld, 1995, IEEE Trans. Inf. Theory, Vol. 44, No. 1, 1998, 55–62.Google Scholar
- R. Ahlswede and Z. Zhang, “New directions in the theory of identification via channels”, IEEE Trans. Inform. Theory, vol. IT-41, 1995, 1040–1050.Google Scholar
- S. Lin and D.J. Costello, Jr., Error control coding: Fundamentals and Applications, Prentice-Hall, Inc., Englewood Cliffs, N.J. 1983.Google Scholar
- J.M. Ooi, “A Framework for Low-Complexity Communication Channels with Feedback”, Dissertation at MIT, RLE Technical Report, No. 617, Nov. 1997.Google Scholar