Polarized Advanced Fuel Reactors
The D-3He reaction has the same spin dependence as the d-t reaction. It produces no neutrons so that if the d-d reactivity could be reduced it would lead to neutron-clean reactor. The current understanding of the possible suppression of the d-d reactivity by spin polarization is discussed. The question as to whether a suppression is possible is still unresolved. Other advanced fuel reactions are briefly discussed.
KeywordsCompound Nucleus Resonant State Coulomb Barrier Central Force Spin Dependence
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.R. M. Kulsrud, E. J. Valeo, and S. C. Cowley, Physics of Spin-Polarized Plasmas, Nucl. Fus. 26:1443 (1986).Google Scholar
- 2.G. W. Shuy, Ali E. Dabiri, and H. Gurol, Conceptual Design. of Deuterium - 3He Fuell Tandem Mirror Reactor Satellite/Breeder System, Fus. Technol. 9:459 (1986).Google Scholar
- 3.E. J. Konopinski, and E. Teller, Theoretical Considerations Concerning the D+D Reactions, Phys. Rev. 73:823 (1948).Google Scholar
- 4.F. M. Beiduk, J. R. Pruett, and E. J. Konopinski, Theory of the D+D Reactions Part I Analysis of the Energy Dependence, Phys. Rev. 77: 622 (1950).Google Scholar
- 5.J. S. Zhang, K. F. Liu, and G. W. Shuy, Fusion Reactions of Polarized Deuterons, Phys. Rev. Lett. 57:1410 (1986).Google Scholar
- 6.H. M. Hofmann and D. Fick, Fusion of Polarized Deuterons, Phys. Rev. Lett. 52:2038 (1984).Google Scholar
- 7.B. P. Ad’yasevitch and D. E. Fomenko, Analysis of the Results of the Investigation of the Reaction D(dp)T with Polarized Deuterons, Sov. J. of Nucl. Phys. 9:167 (1969).Google Scholar
- 8.G. M. Hale, private communication.Google Scholar
- 9.G. M. Hale and D. C. Dodder, A = 4 Level Structure from an R-Matrix Analysis of the Four-Nucleon System, in “Proc. 10th Intl. Conf. Few Body Problems in Physics,” B. Zeitnitz, ed., Karlsruhe, W. Germany, (1983), p. 207.Google Scholar
- 10.G. M. Hale and G. D. Doolen, Cross Section and Maxwellian. Reaction Rates for Polarized d + d Reactions, Los Alamos National Lab. Report LA-7971-MS (1984).Google Scholar
- 11.R. M. Kulsrud, H. P. Furth, E. J. Valeo, R. V. Budny, D. L. Jassby, B. J. Micklich, D. E. Post, M. Goldhaber, and W. Happer, Fusion Reactor Plasmas with Polarized Nuclei-II, in Plasma Phys. and Controlled Nucl. Fusion Research (Proc. 9th Intl. Conf. Baltimore 1982) Vol. 2, IAEA, Vienna (1983) p. 163.Google Scholar