Investigation of Alternative ARQ Schemes for a Wireless ATM Network
The application of two alternative ARQ schemes on the WAND (Wireless ATM Network Demonstrator, ACTS project AC085) system is examined. These schemes are the Selective Repeat Protocol (SRP) and the Partial selective Repeat superIMposEd on gbn (PRIME) ARQ protocol. This work discusses the advantages and disadvantages of each alternative, and focuses on the performance evaluation and performance comparison of the two protocols, as we on the comparison of these protocols with Go-Back-N ARQ, the protocol used in WAND.
KeywordsMedium Access Control Medium Access Control Protocol Queue Size Transmission Attempt Transfer Delay
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- (1]J.Mikkonen et al., “The Magic WAND - Functional Overview”, IEEE JSAC, Vol. 16, No. 6, August 1998.Google Scholar
- Deliverable 3D4 of Magic WAND (AC085),“Wireless ATM MAC Results”, (available at: http://www.tik.ee.ethz.ch
- J.Meierhofer, “Data Link Control for Indoor Wireless ATM Networks”, in Proc. Wireless ’88, pp. 517–525, Calgary, Canada, July 1998.Google Scholar
- N.Passas, L. Merakos, D.Skyrianoglou, F. Bauchot, G. Marmigere and S. Decrauzat, “MAC Protocol and Traffic Scheduling for Wireless ATM Networks”, ACM Mobile Networks and Applications Journal, special issue on Wireless LANs, 1998Google Scholar
- D.Bertsekas and R. Gallager, “Data Networks”, Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall, 2nd ed., 1992.Google Scholar
- Ohta et al., “PRIME-ARQ: A Novel ARQ Scheme for High-speed Wireless ATM -Design, implementation and performance evaluation-”, in Proc. of IEEE VTC ’88, vol. II, pp. 1128–1134, May 1998.Google Scholar
- OPNET Modeler, MIL 3 Inc. 3400 International Drive NW, Washington, DC 20008, 1993.Google Scholar
- J. Meierhofer, U.P.Bernhard, and T.Hunziker, “Finite State Radio Channel Model for Indoor Wireless ATM Networks”, in Proc. of IEEE ICT ’88, vol. IV, pp. 39–43, Chalkidiki, Greece, June 1998.Google Scholar
- Blondie and O. Casals, “Performance Analysis of Statistical Multiplexing of VBR Sources”, in Proc. INFOCOM ’82, pp. 828–838, 1992.Google Scholar