A Distributed Channel Allocation Method for Self-Organising Base Stations in a Wireless ATM Unlicensed System
A distributed method for dynamic channel allocation in unlicensed wireless and mobile ATM systems, where base stations act as hubs to offer wireless ATM access to mobile units, is presented. In the proposed approach, base stations, operating in the unlicensed environment, are competing to access and reserve the wireless resources, i.e., time on separate frequencies. The competition is based on local measurements performed by the self-organising base stations, whereas the access delay and the traffic demand of each base station are the parameters that define the result of the competition. Three alternative contention disciplines are introduced, and their performance is evaluated via simulation.
KeywordsMedium Access Control Channel Allocation Contention Period Load Class Broadband Radio Access Network
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- (1).FCC, ET Docket No. 96–102Google Scholar
- .G. F. Marias, D. Skyrianoglou, and L. Merakos, “A Centralized Approach to Dynamic Channel Assignment in Wireless ATM LANs”, Proceedings INFOCOM ’89, New York, NY, USA, Mar. 1999Google Scholar
- .DJ Goodman, S.A. Gandhi, and R. Vijayan, „Distributed dynamic channel assignment schemes“, Proceedings of 43th IEEE Transaction of Vehicular Technology Conference, May 1993Google Scholar
- .W. C. Wong, and S. S. Kuck, “Ordered dynamic channel assignment scheme with reassignment in highway microcells”, WEE Transaction of Vehicular Technology, vol. 41, Aug. 1992Google Scholar
- M. A. Marsan, and D. Roffinella, “Multichannel local area networks”, 1983c IEEE Google Scholar
- M. Frodigh, “Bounds on the performance of DCA algorithms in highway microcellular systems”, IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, vol. 43, no. 3, August 94Google Scholar
- ACTS project AC085, public deliverable AC085_3D1, “Wireless ATM MAC overall description”Google Scholar
- . N. Passas, L. Merakos, S. Paskalis, and D. Vali, “Quality-of-Service-Oriented medium access control for wireless ATM networks”, IEEE Communications Magazine, November 1997 [10).D. Raychaudhuri, and N. Wilson, “ATM-based transport architecture for multiservices wireless personal communication networks”, Journal on Selected Area in Communications, vol. 12, no. 8, October 1992Google Scholar
- .D. Goodman et al., „Packet Reservation Multiple Access for local wireless communications,“ IEEE Transactions on Communication, vol. 37, no. 8, August 1989Google Scholar
- .A. Acampora, and M. Naghshineh, “QoS provisioning in micro-cellular networks supporting multiple classes”, ACM Wireless Networks, 1996Google Scholar
- .OPNET Modeler, MIL 3, Inc., 1993Google Scholar
- [14).C. Blondia,.`Performance analysis of statistical multiplexing of VBR sources“, INFOCOM ‘82. . G. F. Marias, D. Skyrianoglou, and L. Merakos, ”Comparison of a Distributed and a Centralised Framework for DCA in Wireless ATM“, ACTS Mobile Summit, AMOS’99, Sorrento, Italy, June 99Google Scholar