Oxidative Stress and Thymocyte Apoptosis
Mitochondria play a major role in making decisions in programmed cell death. During thymocyte apoptosis, the function of mitochondrial electron transport chain becomes pro-apoptotic and produces increased levels of reactive oxygen species (ROS). The resulting oxidative stress can further aggravate apoptotic events, leading thymocytes to death. The site of ROS production during thymocyte apoptosis is most likely at complex III of the electron transport chain, and the pro-apoptotic function of electron transport chain is regulated by the proteasome.
KeywordsElectron Transport Chain Proteasome Activity Mitochondrial Electron Transport Chain Mitochondrial Membrane Permeabilization Cell Death Differ
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Finkel, T., and Holbrook, N. J. (2000). Oxidants, oxidative stress and the biology of ageing. Nature 408, 239–247. Ferri, K. F., and Kroemer, G. (2001). Mitochondria—the suicide organelles. Bioessays 23, 111–115.Google Scholar
- Grimm, L. M., Goldberg, A. L., Poirier, G. G., Schwartz, L. M., and Osborne, B. A. (1996). Proteasomes play an essential role in thymocyte apoptosis. Emba J 15, 3835–3844.Google Scholar
- Gross, A., McDonnell, J. M., and Korsmeyer, S. J. (1999). BCL-2 family members and the mitochondria in apoptosis. Genes Dev /3, 1899–1911.Google Scholar
- Marshansky, V., Wang, X., Bertrand, R., Luo, H., Duguid, W., Chinnadurai, G., Kanaan, N., Vu, M. D., and Wu, J. (2001). Proteasomes modulate balance among proapoptotic and antiapoptotic Bcl-2 family members and compromise functioning of the electron transport chain in leukemic cells. J Immunol 166, 3130–3142.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Skulachev, V. P. (1998). Cytochrome c in the apoptotic and antioxidant cascades. FEBS Lett 423, 275–280. Sundaresan, M., Yu, Z. X., Ferrans, V. J., Irani, K., and Finkel, T. (1995). Requirement for generation of H2O2 for platelet-derived growth factor signal transduction. Science 270, 296–299.Google Scholar
- Yang, J., Liu, X., Bhalla, K., Kim, C. N., Ibrado, A. M., Cai, J., Peng, T. I., Jones, D. P., and Wang, X. (1997). Prevention of apoptosis by Bcl-2: release of cytochrome c from mitochondria blocked. Science 275, 1129 1132.Google Scholar
- Zamzami, N., Marchetti, P., Castedo, M., Decaudin, D., Macho, A., Hirsch, T., Susin, S. A., Petit, P. X., Mignotte, B., and Kroemer, G. (1995). Sequential reduction of mitochondrial transmembrane potential and generation of reactive oxygen species in early programmed cell death. J Exp Med 182, 367–377.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar