Neural Cell Adhesion Molecule as a Regulator of Cell-Cell Interactions
Progress in the investigation of cell-cell interactions in tissue formation has been particularly rapid in recent years (for review see Rutishauser and Jessell, 1988). A fundamental hypothesis throughout this work has been that these interactions reflect specific molecular complementarity mediated by distinct components at the cell surface. In addition, it is generally assumed that the developmental control of these events occurs through regulation of expression of the molecules directly involved.
KeywordsSialic Acid Neural Cell Adhesion Molecule Junctional Communication Polysialic Acid Homophilic Binding
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Adler, J.E., Black,.I.B., 1986, Membrane contact regulates transmitter phenotypic expression, Dev. Brain Res., 30: 237-241.Google Scholar
- Bixby, J.L., Pratt. J.S., Lilien J., Reichardt, L.F., 1987, Neurite outgrowth on muscle cell surfaces involves extracellular matrix receptors as well as Ca+-dependent and -independent cell adhesion molecules, Proc Natl Acad Sci USA., 84: 255 - 2559.Google Scholar
- Brackenbury, R., Rutishauser. U., Edelman, G.M., 1981, Distinct calcium-dependent adhesion systems of chick embryo cells, Proc Natl Acad Sci USA., 78: 387391.Google Scholar
- Crossin, K.L., Edelman. G.M., Cunningham, B.A., 1984, Mapping of three carbohydrate attachment sites in embryonic and adult forms of the neural cell adhesion molecule, J Cell Biol., 99: 1848 - 1855.Google Scholar
- Keane, R.W., Paramender, P.M., Rose, B., Lowenstein, W.R., Rutishauser, U., 1988, Neural differentiation, NCAM-mediated adhesion and gap junctional communication in neurotransmitters, J Cell Biol., 106: 1307-1319.Google Scholar
- Kitajima, K., Inoue, Y., Inoue, S., 1986, Polysialoglycoproteins of Salmonidae fish eggs, J Biol Chem., 261 (12): 5262 - 5269.Google Scholar
- Rutishauser, U., Acheson, A., Hall, A.K., Mann, D.M., Sunshine, J., 1988, The neural cell adhesion molecule ( NCAM) as a regulator of cell-cell interactions, Science, 240: 53-57.Google Scholar
- Rutishauser, U., Jessell, T.M., 1988, Cell adhesion molecules in vertebrate neural development, Phys Rev., 68 (3): 819 - 857.Google Scholar
- Sunshine, J., Balak, K., Rutishauser, U., Jacobson, M., 1987, Changes in neural cell adhesion molecule ( NCAM) structure during vertebrate neural development, Proc Natl Acad Sci USA., 84: 5986-5990.Google Scholar
- Tomaselli, K.J., Neugebauer, K.M., Bixby, J.L., Lilien, J., Reichardt, L.F., 1988, Ncadherin and integrins: Two receptor systems that mediate neuronal process outgrowth on astrocyte surfaces, Neuron 1: 33-43.Google Scholar