There is a set of domains, D1, within which pronouns are required to be free--that is, within which they may not be coindexed with any c-commanding argument NP. Coreference is possible between a pronoun and an NP which occurs outside of its D1. This is illustrated by the contrast between (la) and (lb), where I adopt the convention of underscores to indicate intended coreference.
KeywordsRomance Language Comparative Evidence Universal Grammar Binding Theory Finite Clause
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Andrews, A. 1976. The VP Complement Analysis in Modern Icelandic. Papers from the Sixth Annual Meeting, North Eastern Linguistic Society 1–22.Google Scholar
- Chomsky, N. 1981. Lectures on Government and Bingding. Dordrecht: Foris.Google Scholar
- Harbert, W. 1983. (to appear) On the Definition of Binding Domains. Proceedings of the Second West Coast Conference on Formal Linguistics. Stanford.Google Scholar
- Harbert, W. 1983a. (to appear) Germanic Reflexives and the Implementation of Binding Conditions. In I. Rauch and G. Carr, eds., Language Change. Indiana University Press.Google Scholar
- Huang, C.-T.J. 1982. Logical Relations in Chinese and the Theory of Grammar. Doctoral Dissertation, MIT.Google Scholar
- Maling, J. 1981. Non-Clause-Bounded Reflexives in Icelandic. InGoogle Scholar
- T. Fretheim and L. Hellan, eds., Papers from the Sixth Scandinavian Conference on Linguistics.Google Scholar
- Oshima, S. 1979. Conditions on Rules: Anaphora in Japanese. InGoogle Scholar
- G. Gedell, E. Kobayashi and M. Muraki, eds., Explorations in Linguistics: Paper in Honor of Kazuko Inoue. Tokyo: Kenkyusha.Google Scholar
- Reis, M. 1976. Reflexivierung in deutschen A.c.I.-Konstruktionen. Ein transformationsgrammatisches Dilemma. Papiere zur Linguistik 9: 5–82.Google Scholar
- Thrainsson, H. 1976. Reflexives and Subjunctives in Icelandic. Papers from the Sixth Annual Meeting, North Eastern Linguistic Society. 225–239.Google Scholar
- Thrainsson, H. 1976a. Some Arguments Against the Interpretive Theory of Pronouns and Reflexives, Harvard Studies in Syntax and Semantics 2. 573–624.Google Scholar
- Thrainsson, H. 1979. On Complementation in Icelandic. New York: Garland Publishing.Google Scholar