In this chapter we will develop the basic electro-mechano-acoustical model of a simple cone loudspeaker, detailing how the device attains its frequency region of flat power response and reference efficiency. We will also discuss the basic directional properties of cone loudspeakers under varying conditions of baffling. A number of assumptions will be made based on the physics of the acoustic wave equation, drawing on primary references in the literature as needed. In the way of terminology, a loudspeaker mechanism is generically a transducer, a device that changes power or energy in one form to another. More commonly, loudspeaker mechanisms are referred to as drivers, while the term loudspeaker is generally reserved for the complete system.
KeywordsHunt Acoustics Imped
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Beranek, L., Acoustics, Wiley, New York (1954).Google Scholar
- Borwick, J., Loudspeaker and Headphone Handbook, Butterworths, London (1988).Google Scholar
- Colloms, M., High Performance Loudspeakers, 4th ed., Wiley, New York (1991).Google Scholar
- Eargle, J., Electroacoustical Reference Data, Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York (1994).Google Scholar
- Hunt, F., Electroacoustics: The Analysis of Transduction and its Historical Background, Acoustical Society of America, New York (1982).Google Scholar
- Kinsler, L., et al., Fundamentals of Acoustics, 3rd ed., Wiley, New York (1982).Google Scholar
- Massa, F., Acoustical Design Charts, The Blakiston Company, Philadelphia (1942).Google Scholar
- Olson, H., Acoustical Engineering, D. Van Nostrand, New York (1957).Google Scholar
- Rice, C, and Kellogg, E., “Notes on the Development of a New Type of Hornless Loudspeaker,” Transactions, AIEE, Vol. 44 (1925), pp. 461–475.Google Scholar
- Sakamoto, N., Loudspeakers and Loudspeaker Systems, Nikankogyu Shimbun, Tokyo (1967) (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- Siemens, E., U. S. Patent 149,797, issued April 14, 1874.Google Scholar
- Small, R., “Direct Radiator Loudspeaker System Analysis,” J. Audio Engineering Society, Vol. 20, No. 5 (1972).Google Scholar