The North American Free-Trade Agreement
Still following the same pattern, this chapter will deal with the origins of the North American Free-Trade Agreement (NAFTA), its most important provisions and details of operation, concluding with an appraisal.
KeywordsForeign Direct Investment Dispute Settlement Government Procurement Custom Duty Authorized Capital
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- North American Free Trade Agreement,2 vol., US Government Printing Office, 1992;Google Scholar
- Study on the operation and effect of the North American Free Trade Agreement,Office of United States Trade Representative, 1997: deals successively with the economic effects, sectoral trade, worker rights and environment.Google Scholar
- G. Hufbauer and J. Schott, NAFTA An assessment (Institute for International Economics, Washington, 1993 ), G. E. Emmerich, El Tratado de Libre Comercio. Texto y contesto ( Universitad Autonoma Metropolitana, Mexico, 1994 );Google Scholar
- S. Borner. A Brunetti and B. Weder, Political credibility and economic development ( St Martin’s Press, New York, 1995 );Google Scholar
- NAFTA as a model of development The benefits and costs of merging high-and low-wage areas (ed. R. S. Belous and J. Lemco, State Univ. of New York Press, Albany, 1995);Google Scholar
- S. W. Arndt, North American Free Trade: an assessment, Open Economies Review, January 1996;Google Scholar
- W A Orme Jr., Understanding NAFTA. Mexico, Free Trade, and the New North America ( Univ. of Texas Press, Austin, 1996 ).Google Scholar
- The extracts quoted are from: A. de Mestral and J. Winter, Dispute settlement under the Treaty of European Union and the North American Free Trade Agreement, Journal of European Integration. 1994, Nos 2–3: P. Krugman, The uncomfortable truth about NAFTA. It’s foreign policy, stupid, Foreign Affairs, Nov.-Dec. 1993;Google Scholar
- N. Garcia Canclini, North Americans or Latin Americans? The redefinition of Mexican identity and the Free Trade Agreements, in Mass media and free trade. NAFTA and the cultural industries (ed. E G Mcnany and K T Wilkinson; Univ. of Texas Press, Austin, 1996 ).Google Scholar