Endogenous Anticoagulants and the Role of Heparin in the Treatment of Severe Sepsis
New treatments for severe sepsis have yielded disappointing results in numerous trials conducted in the past 20 years. The interventions tested improved survival only marginally, if at all. Some were associated with unexpected toxicities. Not a single new agent had been introduced into clinical practice until recently [1–4].
KeywordsSevere Sepsis Disseminate Intravascular Coagulation Disseminate Intravascular Coagulation Tissue Factor Pathway Inhibitor Drotrecogin Alfa
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Opal SM, Cross AS (1999) Clinical trials for severe sepsis. Past failures, and future hopes. Infect Dis Clin North Am 13: 285-297Google Scholar
- 6.Angus DC, Laterre P-F, Helterbrand J, Ball D, Garg R, Bernard G (2002) The effects of drotrecogin alfa (activated) on long-term survival after sepsis. Annual Meeting of the American College of Chest Physicians, November 2-7, 2002, San Diego, CA, Abstract 5144Google Scholar
- 7.Bernard GR, Macias WL, Vincent J-L (2002) Drotrecogin alfa (activated) cumulative safety update. Annual Meeting of the American College of Chest Physicians, November 2-7, 2002, San Diego, CA, Abstract 5141Google Scholar
- 10.Anti-Infective Advisory Committee. FDA briefing document: drotrecogin alfa (activated) [recombinant human activated protein C (rhAPC)] Xigris. BLA #125029/0. Rockville, Md.: Food and Drug Administration, September 12, 2001. (Accessed November 30, 2002, at http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/ac/01 /briefing/3797b 1_02_FDAbriefing.pdfGoogle Scholar
- 11.Bernard GR, Margolis B, Shanies H, et al (2002) Efficacy and safety of drotrecogin alfa (activated) in the treatment of adult patients with severe sepsis: Report from a single-arm open-label trial in the United States. Annual Meeting of the American College of Chest Physicians, November 2-7, 2002, San Diego, CA, Abstract S142Google Scholar
- 15.Levi M, ten Cate H (1999) Disseminated intravascular coagulation. N Engl J Med 341: 586592Google Scholar
- 20.Eisele B, Lamy M, Thijs LG, et al (1998) Anti-thrombin III in patients with severe sepsis: a randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind, multicenter trial plus a meta-analysis on all randomized-placebo-controlled, double-blind trials with antithrombin III in severe sepsis. Intensive Care Med 24: 663 - 672PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 26.Coalson JJ, Benjamin B, Archer LT, et al (1978) Prolonged shock in the baboon subjected to infusion of E. coli endotoxin. Circ Shock 5: 423 - 437Google Scholar