One of the strongest motivations for using optical waveguides is the large information capacity of an optical link. Much of this capacity comes from the high carrier frequency of the light itself (on the order of 1014 Hz). If even 1% of the total bandwidth available could be utilized, the information transmitted on one optical beam would be enough to handle over 10$ telephone calls. While it is unlikely there will ever be demand for that many simultaneous telephone calls on one line, applications such as video require large bandwidths and can take advantage of such capacity.
KeywordsGroup Delay Group Velocity Dispersion Group Index Material Dispersion Modal Dispersion
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- H. A. Lorentz, The Theory of Electrons, p. 9, Dover, New York, (1952)Google Scholar
- M. Born and E. Wolf, Principles of Optics, 5th Ed., Ch. 13, Pergamon Press, Great Britain, (1975)Google Scholar
- American Institute of Physics Physics Handbook, 3rd ed.,Chapter 6, McGraw-Hill, Inc. USA, (1982)Google Scholar
- OSA Handbook of Optics,Walter Driscoll, editor, McGraw-Hill, New York, (1978)Google Scholar
- CRC Handbook of Laser Science and Technology, Vol. III. Optical Materials:Part 1,Marvin J. Weber, editor, CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL (1986)Google Scholar
- Handbook of Optical Constants of Solids,edited by Edmund Palik, Academic Press, Orlando, FL, (1985)Google Scholar
- H. Kogelnik, in Topics in Applied Physics, Vol. 7. Integrated Optics, 2nd ed., T. Tamir, ed., Chap. 2, Springer-Verlag, Germany (1979)Google Scholar
- J. Gowar, Optical Communications Systems, Chap. 2, Prentice-Hall International, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, (1984)Google Scholar
- Luc Jeunhomme, Single-mode fiber optics, Marcel Decker, Inc, New York, (1983)Google Scholar
- John Senior, Optical Fiber Communications, Prentice-Hall International, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, (1985)Google Scholar
- G. Kaiser, Optical Fiber Communications, 2nd ed., McGraw-Hill Inc., New York, (1991)Google Scholar
- A. Cherin, Introduction to Optical Fibers, McGraw-Hill, Inc., New York, (1983)Google Scholar