New Therapeutic Method Against Septic Shock — Removal of Endotoxin Using Extracorporeal Circulation
Polymyxin B has been shown to prevent endotoxin-induced mortality of mice and rabbits (9, 10), and to decrease the incidence of endotoxindisseminated intravascular coagulation (1). However, its use is limited only to oral or local administration because of its strong side effect on the central nervous system and the kidneys. Therefore, it cannot be used by intravenous injection for the therapy of endotoxemia. To solve problems, a new method of preparing polymyxin B by fixing it to an insoluble fiber was developed. We previously reported that polymyxin B would be covalently coupled to an insoluble fiber and could not be removed anymore by washing with isotonic saline (1, 3).
KeywordsEndotoxin Shock Insoluble Fiber Endotoxin Concentration Aortic Blood Pressure Endotoxin Infusion
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Corrigan, J. J. and Bell, B. M., 1917, Comparison between the polymyxins and gentamicin in preventing endotoxin-induced intravascular coagulation and leukopenia. Infect. Immun. 4: 563.Google Scholar
- 3.Hanasawa, K., Tani, T., Oka, T., Yoshioka, T., Endo, Y., Horisawa, M., Nakane, Y., Kodama, M., Teramoto, K. and Nishiumi, S., 1984, A new treatment for endotoxemia with direct hemoperfusion by polymyxin immobilized fiber, in: “Therapeutic apheresis: a critical look,” Y. Nose, P. S. Malchesky and J. W. Smith, eds., Cleveland: ISAO Press,: 167.Google Scholar
- 4.Kanoh, S., Yoshida, M., Kobayashi, T. and Ogawa, S., 1966, Studies on pyrogen (I). Jpn. J. Pharmacol. 62: 135.Google Scholar
- 5.Kodama, M., Oka, T., Tani, T. and Hanasawa, K., 1985, Therapeutic plasmapheresis for hepatic disorder in surgical patients new strategies for dealing with hyperbilirubinemia, endotoxemia and hemorrhagic disorder, in: “Current practice in therapeutic plasmaphoresis,” T. Hoshino, ed., Excerpta Medica, Amsterdam, p. 102.Google Scholar
- 10.Rifkind, D. and Hill, B. J., Rolla, 1967, Neutralization of the Shwartzman reactions by polymyxin B. J. Immunol. 99: 564.Google Scholar