Anti-LPS Region Antibody Responses and Cellular Immune Responsiveness in Typhoid Patients
In recent years, several reports have provided evidence for an involvement of the immune system during typhoid fever (3). In particular, a reduction of several immunological parameters such as leukocyte inhibiting factor (LIF) release, plaque-forming cell (PFC) production and natural killer (NK) cell activity have been demonstrated (1). In addition, Salmonella typhi organisms possess on their outermembrane the lipopolysaccharide (LPS) which is a powerful immunomodulating agent (4). Therefore, to better investigate the relationship between immune function and typhoid fever, we analyzed humoral and cell-mediated responses in typhoid patients towards LPS or whole bacteria.
KeywordsAntibody Titer Typhoid Fever Immunological Parameter Arachidonic Acid Metabolite Human Brucellosis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Antonaci, S., Garofalo, A. R., Stasi, D., Caretto, G., Jirilli, E. and Bonomo, L., 1987, Cell-mediated immunity in typhoid fever patients. Microbios Letters 35: 19.Google Scholar
- 2.Delia, S., Vullo, V., Mastroianni, C. M., Contini, C., Massetti, A. P., Cignarella, L. and Sorice, F., 1987, Use of dot immunobinding assay (DIB) for the rapid diagnosis of human brucellosis. J. Infection 14: 88.Google Scholar
- 3.Edelman, R. and Levine, M. M., 1986, Summary of an International Workshop of Typhoid Fever. Rev. Infect. Dis. 8: 329.Google Scholar
- 4.Galanos, C., Luderitz, O., Rietschel, E. T. and Westphal, 0., 1977, Newer aspects of the chemistry and biology of bacterial lipopolysaccharides, with special reference to their lipid A component, in: “International Review of Biochemistry. Biochemistry of lipids. II. Vol. 14,” T. W. Goodwin, ed., Baltimore, p. 239.Google Scholar
- 6.Vullo, V., Contini, C., Mastroianni, C. M., Massetti, A. P., Cignarella, L. and Delia, S., 1987, Evaluation of Dot Immunobinding Assay (DIB) for the Detection of Antibodies Against Brucella Melitensis, EOS Riv. Immunol. Immunopharmacol. 7: 147.Google Scholar