Empirical evidence of paradoxes of voting in Dutch elections
In this paper we analyze four national elections held in 1982, 1986, 1989 and 1994 in the Netherlands on the occurrence of the Condorcet paradox. In addition, we investigate these elections on the occurrence of three so-called majority-plurality paradoxes. The first paradox states that a party having a majority over another party may receive less seats. The second states that a Condorcet winner may not receive the largest number of seats and even may not receive a seat at all. The third says that the majority relation may be the reverse of the ranking of parties in terms of numbers of seats.
KeywordsPublic Choice Majority Rule Proportional Representation National Election Condorcet Winner
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Arrow, K.J. (1963). Social choice and individual values. New Haven and London: Yale University Press. Second Edition.Google Scholar
- Black, D. (1958). The theory of committees and elections. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Condorcet, M. (1785). Essai sur l’application de l’analyse à la probabilité des decisions rendues à la pluralité de voix. Paris.Google Scholar
- Condorcet, M. (1789). Sur la forme des elections. Paris.Google Scholar
- Dahl, R. (1989). Democracy and its critics. New Haven: Yale University Press.Google Scholar
- Niemi, R.G. (1970). The occurrence of the paradox of voting in university elections. Public Choice 91–100.Google Scholar
- Riker, W.H. (1965). Arrow’s Theorem and some examples of the paradox of voting. In J.M. Claunch (Ed.), Mathematical applications in political science, 41–60. Dallas: Southern Methodist University Press.Google Scholar
- Riker, W.H. (1982). Liberalism against populism. San Francisco: Freeman.Google Scholar
- Tännsjö, T. (1992). Populist democracy: A defence. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Vergunst, N.P. (1995). De empirische bruikbaarheid van de stemparadox. Master thesis. Nijmegen: Katholieke Universiteit Nijmegen (In Dutch).Google Scholar
- Vergunst, N.P. (1996). Besluitvorming over kerncentrale Borssele: Een analyse van de stemparadox in de Nederlandse politiek. Acta Politica 31: 209–228.Google Scholar