Demand for Letters in Portugal
The aim of this study is to construct an aggregate econometric model which will accurately explain ordinary Portuguese postal traffic using annual data from 1960 to 1995. A forecast will also be presented for the subsequent period. A model for annual demand will be developed, where the dependent variable corresponds to letter mail volume, with the explanatory variables being: postal rates, represented by their real price index; telephone calls; and private consumption, an economic indicator expressed at constant prices (chosen between the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) and Gross Added Value (GAV) on services).
KeywordsGross Domestic Product Unit Root Unit Root Test Private Consumption Postal Rate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Banerjee, A. 1995. “Dynamic Specification and Testing for Unit Roots and Cointegration.” In Macroeconomics: Developments, Tensions and Prospects, edited by Kevin D.Hoover. Boston, MA: Kluwer Academic Publishers: 473.Google Scholar
- Charemza, W. W., D.F. Deadmon. 1992. New Directions in Econometric Practice,Edward Elgar Publishing Limited.Google Scholar
- Cuthbertson, Keith, Stephen G. Hall, Mark P. Taylor. 1992. Applied Econometric Techniques. Philip Alan.Google Scholar
- Cuthbertson, Keith, and Paul Richards. 1990. “ An Econometric Study of The Demand For First and Second Class Inland Letter Services.” The Review of Economics and Statistics: 640–648.Google Scholar
- Dickey, D., and S. Pantula. 1987. “Determining the Order of Differencing in Autorregressive Processes.” Journal of Business & Economic Statistics 5(4) (October): 455–461.Google Scholar
- Harris, Richard. 1995. Cointegration Analysis in Econometric Modelling. Prentice Hall.Google Scholar
- Holden, D., and R. Perman. 1994. “Unit Roots and Cointegration for the Economist.” In Cointegration for the Applied Economist, edited by B. Bhaskara Rao.Google Scholar
- Itzutsu, Ikuo, and Iehisa Yamaura. 1997. “Effect of Telecommunications on Letter Mail Services in Japan.” Presentation at the Fifth Conference on Postal and Delivery Economics;, Helsingor, Denmark, June 11–14.Google Scholar
- Nankervis, John, Isabelle Carslake, and Frank Rodriguez. 1997. “How Important Have Price and Quality of Service Been To Mail Volume Growth.” This volume.Google Scholar
- Nikaki, Heikki. 1997. “Demand Models for Letter Mail and Its Substitutes: Results From Finland,” In Managing Change in The Postal and Delivery Industries, edited by M.A. Crew and P.R. Kleindorfer. Boston, MA: Kluwer Academic Publishers.Google Scholar
- Plum, Monika. 1997. “The Challenge of Electronic Competition: Empirical Analysis of Substitution Effects on The Demand for Letter Services.” In Managing Change in The Postal and Delivery Industries, edited by M.A. Crew and P. R. Kleindorfer. Boston, MA: Kluwer Academic Publishers.Google Scholar
- UPU. 1997. “Post 2005 - Core Business Scenarios.” Google Scholar