DNA Alkylation Adducts in Human Cells Attributable to Exposure to Alkylating Agents
In studies on the etiology of human cancer, the determination of DNA adducts in human tissues is informative mainly from two points of view: firstly, in providing a marker of exposure to carcinogenic agents at an individual level and secondly in providing an insight on the biological relevance of these adducts to the process of carcinogenesis. In addition, these measurements, particularly if they reflect long-term exposure to carcinogens could result in an increase in the specificity and sensitivity of epidemiological studies.
KeywordsHuman Tissue Oesophageal Cancer Stomach Mucosa Carcinogenic Agent Oesophageal Mucosa
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Degan, P., Montesano, R. and Wild, C.P. Antibodies against 7-methyldeoxy-guanosine: its detection in peripheral blood lymphocyte DNA and potential applications to molecular epidemiology. Submitted (1988).Google Scholar
- Doll, R. and Peto, R. The causes of cancer, Oxford University Press(1981).Google Scholar
- Huh, N., Satoh, M.S, Shiga, J. and Kuroki, T. Detection of 04-ethylthymine in human liver DNA. IARC Scientific Publication No 89, in press, (1988).Google Scholar
- Montesano, R., Brésil, H., Degan, P., Martel-Planche, G., Serres, M. and Wild, C.P. Detection in human cells of alkylated macromolecules attributable to nitrosamine exposure. IARC Scientific Publication No 89, in press (1988).Google Scholar
- Montesano, R. and Magee, P.N. Metabolism of dimethylnitrosamine by human liver slices in vitro. Nature 228, 173–174, (1970).Google Scholar
- Pegg, A.E. and Hui, G. Ob-methylguanine from deoxyribonucleic acid in rat liver and kidney after small doses of dimethylnitrosamine. Biochem. J., 173, 739–748 (1978).Google Scholar
- Saffhill, R., Badawi, A.F. and Hall, C.N. The detection of 06-methylguanine in human DNA. IARC Scientific Publication No 89, in press, (1988).Google Scholar
- Umbenhauer, D., Wild, C.P., Montesano, R., Saffhill, R., Boyle, J.M., Huh, N., Kirstein, U., Thomale, J., Rajewsky, M.F. and Lu, S.H. 06-methyldeoxyguanosine in oesophageal DNA among individuals at high risk of oesophageal cancer. Int. J. Cancer 36, 661–665 (1985).Google Scholar
- Yang, C.S. Research on oesophageal cancer in China: a review. Cancer Res., 40, 2633–2644 (1980).Google Scholar
- Yu, M.C., Ho, J.H.C., Lai, S.H. and Henderson, B.E. Cantonese-style salted fish as a cause of nasopharyngeal carcinoma: report of a case-control study in Hong Kong. Cancer Res. 46, 956–961 (1986).Google Scholar