Businesses want a “Web Presence” but what is such a thing? Can it be designed? What if we see web site developers as the purposeful shapers of “Web Presence”, does this affect their design processes? Indeed can “Presence” be defined?
As much as “Web Presence” may open a Pandora’s box of questions and issues, this paper does not focus on “Web Presence”. It concentrates on the related concept of seeing web site developers as purposeful shapers of a “Web Presence”. The research study described in this paper goes “back to basics” to begin to formulate the research problem and demonstrate the feasibility of progress through analysing three research sites of developers creating business “Presence” web sites.
KeywordsSoft System Methodology Information System Development System Owner Sunshine Coast Sole Operator
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Avison, D. and Shah, H., 1997, The Information systems Development Life Cycle: A First Course in Information Systems, McGraw Hill International, London.Google Scholar
- Checkland, P. B., 1985, From Optimizing to Learning: A Development of Systems Thinking for the 1990s, The Journal of the Operational Research Society, Vol. 36, no. 9, 757–767Google Scholar
- Checkland, P. B. and Scholes, J., 1990, Soft Systems Methodology in Action, Wiley, Chichester.Google Scholar
- Fitzgerald, B., Russo, N. L. and Stolterman, E., 2002, Information Systems Development: Methods in Action, McGraw-Hill Education, New York.Google Scholar
- Lane, M. S. and Koronios, A., 2000, A Balanced Approach to Capturing User Requirements in Business-ToConsumer Web Information Systems, Proceedings of 11th Australian Conference on Information Systems, Brisbane, Australia, viewed 15th October 2001, http://www2.fit.qut.edu.au/ACIS2000/fullpapers.html.
- Lombard, M. and Ditton, T., 1997, At the Heart of It All: The Concept of Presence, Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, Vol. 3, No. 2, viewed 15th July 2003, http://www.prescnce-research.org
- Miles, M. B. and Huberman, A. M., 1994, Qualitative Data Analysis: An Expanded Sourcebook, 2nd Edition, Sage Publications, Thousand Oaks, California.Google Scholar
- Powell, T. A., 2000, Web Design: The Complete Reference, Osbourne/McGraw-Hill, Berkley, California.Google Scholar
- Strauss, A. and Corbin, J., 1990, Basics of Qualitative Research: grounded theory procedures and techniques, Sage Publications, California.Google Scholar