Representing Part-Whole Relations in Conceptual Modelling
The idea that one thing may be part of another thing seems fundamental to the way humans perceive and understand phenomena. Part-whole (or meronymic) relations have been of interest to philosophers concerned with ontology (eg. Bunge, 1977; Weber, 1997; Chisholm, 1996) and psychologists concerned with human cognition (eg. Winston et al., 1987).
KeywordsUnify Modelling Language Unify Modelling Language Model Model Fragment Historical Accuracy Sound Representation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chisholm, R. M., 1996, A Realistic Theory of Categories: An Essay on Ontology, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.Google Scholar
- Floyd, C., 1986, A comparative evaluation of system development methods, in: Information System Design Methodologies: Improving the Practice T. W. 011e, H. G. Sol and A. A. Verrijn-Stuart, (eds), North-Holland, Amsterdam, 19–54.Google Scholar
- Moody, D.L. and Shanks, G., 1998, Improving the quality of entity-relationship models: An action research programme, The Australian Computer Journal, 30, 129–138.Google Scholar
- Moody, D. and Shanks, G., 2002, Improving the Quality of Entity Relationship Models: Experience in Research and Practice, Information Systems Journal.Google Scholar
- Rumbaugh, J., Jacobson, I. and Booch, G., 1999, The Unified Modelling Language Reference Manual, Addison-Wesley, Reading, Mass.Google Scholar
- Shanks, G, Tansley, E., Nuredini, J., Tobin, D. and Weber, R., 2002, Representing Part-Whole Relationships in Conceptual Modelling: An Empirical Evaluation, Proc. International Conference on Information Systems, Barcelona.Google Scholar
- Storey, V., 1991, Meronymic relationships, Journal of Database Administration, 2: 3, 22–35.Google Scholar
- Wand, Y. and Weber, R., 2002, Information systems and conceptual modelling: A research agenda, Information Systems Research, 13.Google Scholar
- Weber, R., 1997, Ontological Foundations of Information Systems, Coopers and Lybrand Monograph. Winston, M. E., Chaffin, R., and Herrman, D., 1987, A taxonomy of part-whole relations, Cognitive Science, 11, 417–444.Google Scholar