Acute Hypertension and Experimental Diabetes: Evaluation of their Effects on Blood-Ocular Barriers
For the past several years we have been engaged in a series of studies on the effects of stress on the blood-ocular barriers. A variety of stresses have been studied — including osmotic shock,1 acute hypertension,2 drug reactivity,3 experimental diabetes,4’5 and carbon dioxide inhalation.6 For the measurement of barrier status, chief reliance has been placed on the localization of fluorescent dyes in freeze-dried tissue by darkfield microscopy. When appropriate, brains of the same animals have also been evaluated. In special instances, electron microscopy after the prior administration of horseradish peroxidase has been performed.
KeywordsEvans Blue Experimental Diabetes Central Retinal Artery Mural Cell Retinal Blood Vessel
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Kirber, W.M., Nichols, C.W., Grimes, P.A., Winegrad, A.I., and Laties, A.M.: (In press, Arch. Ophthalmol.).Google Scholar
- 5.Grimes, P.A. and Laties, A.M.: (In press, Exp. Eye Res.).Google Scholar
- 6.Rapoport, S.I., Fredericks, W.R. and Laties A.M.: (In press Exp. Eye Res.).Google Scholar
- 7.Hogan, M.J., Alvarado, J.A. and Weddell, J.E.: HISTOLOGY OF THE HUMAN EYE. W.B. Saunders Co., Philadelphia, 1971.Google Scholar
- 8.Cogan, D.G., Kuwabara, T.: Ocular microangiopathy in diabetes, in Kimura, S. and Caygill, W.M. (eds.): VASCULAR COMPLICATIONS OF DIABETES MELLITUS. St. Louis, C.V.Mosby Co., 1967, pp. 53–63.Google Scholar
- 9.Burnside, B. and Wallow, I., personal communication, 1978.Google Scholar
- Junod, A., Lambert, A.E., Stauffacher, W. and Renold, A.E.: J. Clin. Invest. 48:2129–2139, 1969.Google Scholar
- 15.Lerche, W.: Die kapillarisierung der menschlichen retina in Rohen, J.W. (ed.): EYE STRUCTURE II. SYMPOSIUM. Schattauer Verlag, Stuttgart, 1965, pp. 121–128.Google Scholar