Physical Methods Used in the Study of Membranes
in this chapter the major physical methods that are applicable to the study of membranes will be outlined. It is not possible in the space available either to treat fully the theoretical basis of the methods or to give a comprehensive coverage of their applications. Accordingly, the principles of the methods will be dealt with, only in so far as is necessary to indicate the physical significance of the parameters that are measured in membrane studies. The examples of application of the methods are chosen so as to give an idea of the range of information that can be obtained by use of each technique, and to indicate the potential and relative values of the methods.
KeywordsLipid Bilayer Physical Method Spin Label Fluorescence Correlation Spectroscopy Fatty Acyl Chain
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bergelson, L. D. (1978) ‘ Paramagnetic hydrophilic probes in NMR investigations of membrane systems’ in Methods in Membrane Biology (ed. E. D. Korn), vol. 9, Plenum Press, London, 275–335.Google Scholar
- Cullis, P. R. and McLaughlin, A. C. (1977) ‘Phosphorus nuclear magnetic resonance studies of model and biological membranes’ Trends in Biochem. Sci., 196–199.Google Scholar
- Lee, A. G. (1978) ‘ Fluorescence and NMR studies of membranes’ in Receptors and Recognition, vol. AS (ed. P. Cuatrecasas and M. F. Greaves ), Chapman and Hall, London, 89–131.Google Scholar
- Seelig, J. (1978) 31P Nuclear magnetic resonance and the head group structure of phospholipids in membranes’ Biochim. Biophys. Acta,515 105–140.Google Scholar
- Berliner, L. J. (ed.) (1976) Spin Labelling, Theory and Applications, Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Schreier, S., Polnaszek, C. F. and Smith, I. C. P. (1978) ‘ Spin labels in membranes. Problems in practice’ Biochim. Biophys. Acta,515, 375–436.Google Scholar
- Lee, A. G. (1978) ‘ Fluorescence and NMR studies of membranes’ in Receptors and Recognition, vol. AS (ed. P. Cuatrecasas and M. F. Greaves ), Chapman and Hall, London, 81–131.Google Scholar
- Radda, G. K. (1975) ‘ Fluorescent probes in membrane studies’ in Methods in Membrane Biology, vol. 4 (ed. E. D. Korn ), Plenum Press, New York, 97–188.Google Scholar