An Internetworking Architecture for Multimedia Communication Over Heterogeneous Networks
Distributed multimedia applications of the future will run on heterogeneous networks. Initially deployed on traditional LANs like Token Ring and FDDI there will be a long period of transition to ATM-based LANs that offer better support for continuous media traffic like video and audio. In parallel, public ATM services emerge that enable the wide-area interconnection of LANs. In this paper we identify the issues involved in the interconnection of heterogeneous networks for multimedia communication. We discuss the interaction of traffic management, signalling and data transmission protocols and present alternatives in the protocol architectures.
KeywordsMulticast Tree Traffic Management Signalling Protocol Reservation Protocol Peak Cell Rate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- C. Topolcic (Editor), “Experimental Internet Stream Protocol, Version 2 (ST-II)”, RFC 1190, October 1990.Google Scholar
- R. Händel, M.N. Huber, “Integrated Broadband Networks - An Introduction to ATM-Based Networks”, Addison-Wesley, 1991.Google Scholar
- L. Zhang, S. Deering, D. Estrin, S. Shenker, D. Zappala, “RSVP: A New Resource ReSerVation Protocol”, IEEE Network, September 1993, pp. 8–18Google Scholar
- [ 5 ]ITU-TS, Draft Recommendation Q. 2931, ITU-TS SG 11/WG 2 Temporary Document, December 1993.Google Scholar
- ATM Forum, ATM User-Network Interface Specification Version 3.0, ATM Forum, 480 San Antonio Road, Suite 100, Mountain View, CA 94040, USA, September 1993Google Scholar
- D. D. Clark, S. Shenker, L. Zhang, “Supporting Real-Time Applications in an Integrated Services Packet Network: Architecture and Mechanism”, Proc. SIGCOMM’92, October 1992Google Scholar
- R. Nagarajan, C. Vogt, “Guaranteed -Performance Transport of Multimedia Traffic over the Token Ring”, IBM European Networking Center Technical Report No. 43.9201, December 1991Google Scholar
- R. Guérin, H. Ahmadi, M. Naghshineh, “Equivalent Capacity and its Application to Bandwidth Allocation in High-Speed Networks”, IEEE JSAC, Vol. 9, No. 7, September 1991Google Scholar
- J. Kurose, “Open Issues and Challenges in Providing Quality of Service Guarantees in High-Speed Networks”, ACM Computer Communication Review, Vol. 23, No. 1, January 1993Google Scholar
- S. Shenker, D. D. Clark, L. Zhang, “A Service Model for an Integrated Services Internet”, Internet Draft, October 1993Google Scholar
- S. Boecking, S. Damaskos, A. Fartmann, B. Weise, G. Hoelzing, I. Milouscheva, J. Sandvoss, M. Zitterbart, “The BERKOM Multimedia Transport System”, IST/SPIE’s Symposium on Electronic Imaging: Science and Technology, February 1994Google Scholar