Hot-Stage Electron Microscopy of Clay Minerals
Clay minerals have been studied1–12 by a variety of techniques after heat treatment in order to gain information about their thermal transformations. Various clay minerals have been fired to temperatures of interest and then examined by X-Ray diffraction techniques or by electron microscopy. More recently, clay minerals have been examined under continuous heating conditions using heating-oscillating X-Ray diffraction methods.13–17 However, the examination of clay minerals under continuous heating conditions in the electron microscope (hot-stage electron microscopy) has been very limited18, 19 and subject to difficulties in interpretation of results.20, 21 In the study presented here, two clay minerals and their structural prototypes have been investigated by hot-stage electron microscopy to gain new information about their thermal trans formations.
KeywordsClay Nickel Migration Carbide Chromium
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Eitel, W. and Kedesdy, H., Abhandl. Preuss. Akad. Wiss., 5, 5–45 (1943).Google Scholar
- 5.Johns, W.D., Mineral. Mag., 30, 186–98 (1953).Google Scholar
- 6.Glass, H.D., Amer. Mineral., 30, 193–207 (1954).Google Scholar
- 11.Tsuzuki, Y., J. Earth Sci., Nagoya Univ., 9, 305–44 (l96l).Google Scholar
- 14.Wahl, F.M., “Effect of Impurities on Kaolinite Transformations as Examined by High-Temperature X-Ray Diffraction”, Advances in X-Ray Analysis, 10th Conference, pp. 264–275, Plenum Press, New York (1962).Google Scholar
- 15.Wahl, F.M., and Grim R.E., Clays and Clay Minerals, Pergamon Press, 1964, pp. 69–81.Google Scholar
- 17.McAtee, J.L., Jr., Proc. Third Toronto Symposium on Thermal Analysis, pp. 13–28, H.G. McAdie, Ed., 1969. Toronto Section, Chemical Institute of Canada.Google Scholar
- 18.Furlong, R.B., Clays and Clay Minerals, Pergamon Press, 1967, pp. 97–101.Google Scholar
- 21.Jernigan, D.L., and McAtee, J.L., Jr., Thermochimica Acta, in press.Google Scholar
- 22.Grim, R.E., Clay Mineralogy, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1968.Google Scholar
- 23.Range, K.J., Russow. J., Oehlinger, G., and Weiss, A., Ber. Deut. Keram. Ges., 47, 545–49 (1970).Google Scholar