Age Related Circadian Responsiveness of MAO Inhibitors
We are becoming increasingly aware of the concept of a biological clock which regulates development and aging. This clock, or clocks, appears to be comprised of a constellation of rhythmic processes occurring throughout the organism in all tissues, organs and systems (Timiras, 1972). As illustrated by Berger (1975), these clocks may govern sleep and wakefulness patterns both phylogenetically and ontogenetically, and repeated inversions of the 12 hour light/dark cycles may dampen such rhythms and result in an actual shortening of life span.
KeywordsMonoamine Oxidase Inhibit Monoamine Oxidase Circadian Variation Amine Oxidase Circadian Time
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Aslan, A. A new method for prophylaxis and treatment of aging with novacaine. Therapiewoche 7: 14, 1956.Google Scholar
- Cohen, S. Gerovital H3 in the treatment of the depressed aging patient. Presented at 20th Annual Meeting of Academy of Psychosomatic Medicine, 1973.Google Scholar
- Halberg, F. and Stephens, A.N. Susceptibility to ouabain and physiologic circadian periodicity. Proc. Minn. Acad. Sci. 27: 139–143, 1959.Google Scholar
- Hrachovec, J.P. Inhibitory effect of gerovital H3 on rat brain monoamine oxidase. Fed. Proc. 31: 604, 1972a.Google Scholar
- Hrachovec, J.P. Inhibitory effect of gerovital H3 on monoamine oxidase of rat brain, liver and heart. Physiologist 15: Abstract No. 3, 1972b.Google Scholar
- Hrachovec, J.P. Inhibitory effect of gerovital H3 and procaine on monoamine oxidase in rat brain, liver, heart and platelets. Proc. 26th Ann. Meeting Gerontol. Soc., Miami Beach, p 62, 1973.Google Scholar
- Jarvik, L.F. and Milne, J.F. In: Aging, Vol. 2, S. Gershon and A. Raskin, eds. Raven Press, New York, 1975.Google Scholar
- MacFarlane, M.D. Possible rationale for procaine (Gerovital H3) therapy in geriatric inhibition of monoamine oxidase. J. Amer. Ger. Soc. 21: 414–418, 1973.Google Scholar
- MacFarlane, M.D. and Besbris, J.H. Procaine (Gerovital H3) therapy: Mechanism of inhibition of monoamine oxidase. J. Amer. Ger. Soc. 22: 365–371, 1974.Google Scholar
- Scheving, L.E., Mayersbach, H. v. and Pauly, J.E. An overview of chronopharmacology. J. Europ. Toxicol. 7: 203–207, 1974.Google Scholar
- Timiras, P.S. Developmental Physiology and Aging. MacMillan Co., New York, 1972.Google Scholar