Comparative Changes in the 32P Labeling of Adenine and Uracil Nucleotides in the Hypertrophying Rat Heart
The turnover of cardiac adenine and uracil nucleotides was studied in the hypertrophying rat heart by means of the kinetics of incorporation of labeled phosphate into the α-phosphate groups of nucleotides. Cardiac hypertrophy was induced either by chronic isoproterenol treatment (5 mg-kg-1 body wt. daily, s.c.) or by abdominal aortic constriction. In both experimental models, although the labeling of α-P groups of adenine nucleotides was at first unmodified, the incorporation of [32P]Phosphate into uracil nucleotides was accelerated early and the stimulation maintained for several days. The intramyocardial concentration of UTP and uracil nucleotides rose during the early phase of hypertrophy, while the ATP and adenine nucleotide pools were depleted. All of these alterations were more pronounced in isoproterenol-treated animals than in those with aortic stenosis. In this experimental model (isoproterenol treatment), the hypertrophy develops faster and is accompanied by a larger increase in cardiac RNA concentration. Thus, the increase in the rate of synthesis of uracil nucleotides may be interpreted as an adaptative change of nucleotide metabolism in response to an increased requirement of precursors for RNA synthesis. The possible limiting role of pyrimidine nucleotides in the hypertrophic process is discussed.
KeywordsAortic Stenosis Cardiac Hypertrophy Adenine Nucleotide Aortic Constriction Nucleotide Pool
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Fanburg, B. L., Matsushita, S., and Raben M. S. 1973. Nucleic acid metabolism in cardiac hypertrophy. In: N. S. Dhalla (ed.), Recent Advances in Studies on Cardiac Structure and Metabolism. Vol. 3: Myocardial Metabolism, pp. 577–588. University Park Press, Baltimore.Google Scholar
- 4.Fleckenstein, A., Doring, H. G., and Leder, O. 1969. The significance of high-energy phosphate exhaustion in the etiology of isoproterenol-induced cardiac necrosis and its prevention by iproveratril, compound D 600 or prenylamine. In: M. Lamarche and R. Royer (eds.), International Symposium on Drugs and Metabolism of Myocardium and Striated Muscle, Nancy, France, pp. 11–12.Google Scholar
- 9.Jaworek, D., Gruber, W., and Bergmeyer, H. U. 1974. Adenosine-5′-triphosphate. Determination with 3-phosphoglycerate kinase. Methods Enzymat. Anal. 4:2097–2101.Google Scholar
- 21.Rossi, A., Olivares, J., Aussedat, J., and Ray, A. 1979. Stimulation by isoproterenol of myocardial pyrimidine nucleotides synthesis in rats. J. Mol. Cell. Cardiol. 11:50.Google Scholar
- 24.Wollenberger, A., Ristau, O., and Schoffa, G. 1960. Eine einfache Tecknik der extrem schnellen Abkuhlung grosserer Gewebstucke. Pfluegers Arch. 270:339–412.Google Scholar