Until now, we have considered quantum systems with time independent Hamiltonians. In this chapter, we focus on the dynamics of quantum systems with time-periodic Hamiltonians as they undergo a transition from a regime in which they exhibit integrable-like behavior to a regime where they exhibit the manifestations of chaos. Time-periodic quantum systems, if they consist of a time-independent part driven by a time-periodic field, have in some cases proven to be amenable to analytic analysis. This is one of the reasons why they have received so much attention in recent years.
KeywordsMicrowave Manifold Radon Sine Reso
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Arfken, G. (1985): Mathematical Methods for Physicists (Academic Press, Orlando).Google Scholar
- Berman, G.P., Vlasova, O.F., and Izrailev, F.M. (1987b): Sov. Phys. JETP 66 269.Google Scholar
- Blumel, R., Fishman, S., Griniasti, M., and Smilansky, U. (1986): in “Quantum Chaos and Statistical Nuclear Physics”-Lectures Notes in Physics, Vol. 263 edited by T.H. Seligman and H. Nishioko (Springer-Verlag, Berlin)Google Scholar
- Burns, M. (1991): Nonlinear Resonance in the Hydrogen Atom Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Texas at Austin.Google Scholar
- Burns, M. and Reichl, L.E. (1991): Nonlinear Resonance in the Microwave Driven Hydrogen Atom, Preprint, University of Texas at Austin.Google Scholar
- Casati, G., Chirikov, B.V., Izrailev, F.M., and Ford, J. (1979): in Stochastic Behavior in Classical and Hamiltonian SystemsLecture Notes in Physics, Vol. 93, edited by G.Casati and J.Ford. (Springer-Verlag, Berlin)Google Scholar
- Haake, F. (1990): Quantum Signatures of Chaos (Springer-Verlag, Berlin)Google Scholar
- Koch, P. (1983): in Rydberg States of Atoms and Molecules, edited by R.F. Stebbings and F.B. Dunning (Cambridge University Press, Cambridge).Google Scholar
- Koch, P. (1988): in Electronic and Atomic Collisions, edited by H.B. Gilbody, W.R. Newell, F.H. Read, and A.C.H. Smith (Elsevier Science Publishers B.V., New York).Google Scholar
- Koch, P., Moorman, L., Sauer, B.E., Galvez, E.J., and van Leeuwen, K.A.H. (1989): Physica Scripta T26 59.Google Scholar
- Shepelyansky, D.L. (1985): in Chaotic Behavior in Quantum Systems edited by G. Casati (Plenum Press, New York).Google Scholar
- Shepelyansky, D.L. (1987): Physica 28D 103.Google Scholar
- van Leeuwen, K.A.H., Oppen, G.V., Renwick, S., Bowlin, J.B., Koch, P.M., Jensen, R.V., Rath, O., Richards, D., and Leopold, J.G. (1985): Phys. Rev. 55 2231.Google Scholar