Data Security and Legal Considerations
This chapter is intended to serve as a starting point for the project manager in the quest for data security. The course of implementing systems in the healthcare environment is a minefield of legal ramifications found throughout all phases of implementation. Data security and legalities are often interconnected. Regulations and laws impacting every aspect of systems implementation include system access, display, and system output. Installing a technological system means working thorough all of the secondary impacts to complex processes that exist in an organization as well as planning for hardware installation.
KeywordsData Security Hospital Information System Unauthorized Access Physical Security Extensible Authentication Protocol
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bednarz A. Hospital sounds alarm after 3 day struggle. Network World Nov. 25, 2002. Available at http://www.nwfusion.com/news/2002/1125bethisrael.html (January 17, 2003). 19(47):1.Google Scholar
- 2.Knox R. Hospitals and computer meltdowns. NPR Nov. 29. 2002. Available at http://discover.npr.org/rundowns/segment.jhtml?wfld=861962 (September 15, 2003).Google Scholar
- 3.Soat J. IT confidential: friends in high places; saved by paper. Information Week Nov. 25, 2002. Available at http://www.informationweek.com/story/ IWK20021122S0047 (September 17, 2003). Issue 916. p74.Google Scholar
- 4.Some useful legal definitions. http://www.freewarehof.org/terms.html#trademark (May 5, 2003).Google Scholar
- 5.Executive Summary, Digital Millennium Copyright Act. http://www.loc.gov/ copyright/reports/studies/dmca/dmca_executive.html (September 16, 2003).Google Scholar
- 6.Englebardt SP, Nelson R. Health Care Informatics: An Interdisciplinary Approach. St. Louis, MO: Mosby, 2002.Google Scholar
- 7.Merriam-Webster OnLine http://www.m-w.com/ (March 30, 2003).Google Scholar
- 8.Internet FAQ consortium. http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2828 (March 3, 2003).Google Scholar
- 9.Safeguarding your critical data: a practical guide to data protection and recovery. U.S. Data Trust Corporation White Paper, 2002. http://www.usdatatrust.com/ resources/data_protection_guide.asp (May 10, 2003).Google Scholar