It is important to understand that software development differs from vendor system customization. Software development is a term used to describe the process of creating computer programs or applications. Programmers may start from scratch with a blank screen or they may incorporate off-the-shelf components or frameworks. Although there are similarities between managing software development and managing system implementation, there are also significant differences. Developing software is a discovery process in which the programmer develops an understanding of a business process or task and creates an application to support the data management and decision-making surrounding the task. Although discovery also occurs during system implementation, the staff adapts an application instead of creating an application. Project management books available in the bookstores generally discuss project management techniques for the software development process instead of project management in the implementing sense.
KeywordsSoftware Development Unify Modeling Language Software Development Process Agile Method Agile Development
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Quote project. http://www.quoteproject.com/subject.asp?subject=96 (April 17, 2003).Google Scholar
- 2.Henderson-Sellers B, Due R, Graham I, Collins G. Third generation 00 processes: a critique of RUP and OPEN from a project management perspective. Seventh Asia-Pacific Software Engineering Conference, 2000 (APSEC 2000) Proceedings. 2000, pp. 428–435.Google Scholar
- 3.Mercury Interactive, a business quality consulting company. http://model. mercuryinteractive.com/references/models/ (January 12, 2003).Google Scholar
- 4.Paulk MC. Extreme Programming from a CMM perspective. Software Engineering Institute, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA. Paper for XP Universe, Raleigh, NC, 23–25 July 2001. Available at http://www.sei.cmu.edu/cmm/papers/ xp-cmm-paper.pdf (January 12, 2003 ), p. 4.Google Scholar
- 6.Hunt AW, Thomas D. The pragmatic Programmer: From Journeyman to Master. Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley, 2000.Google Scholar
- 7.UML Resource Center. www.rational.com/uml/index.jsp (April 17, 2003).Google Scholar
- 8.What is UML’? http://pigseye.kennesaw.edu/-dbraun/csis4650/A and D/UML_ tutorial/what_is_uml.htm (April 17, 2003).Google Scholar
- 9.Cockburn A. Basic use case template. http://members.aol.com/aockburn/papers/ uctempla.htm (May 13, 2003 ).Google Scholar