Measurement of Fatigue Limit in Silicate Glasses
Some studies on sub-critical growth in glass and ceramics have shown the existence of a lower limit of the applied stress intensity factor where the crack propagation tends to zero. This is usually defined as the fatigue limit or threshold stress intensity factor (K th ).Various testing methodologies have been suggested in the past for measuring this limit even if the identification of a load level corresponding to a velocity equal to zero is still questionable. In this paper, results obtained recently for various silicate glasses using different experimental approaches are compared. Measurements are performed by the interrupted static fatigue test and an indentation technique on soda-lime-silica, aluminosilicate, borosilicate and silica glass. Both techniques point out the existence of a fatigue limit in humid environment.
KeywordsStress Intensity Factor Silicate Glass Fatigue Limit Silica Glass Indentation Test
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.D J. Green, Introduction to Mechanical Properties of Ceramics,Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK (1998).Google Scholar
- 4.W.B. Hillig, and R.J. Charles, Surfaces, Stresses-Dependent Surface Reactions and Strength, in: High Strength Materials, V.F. Zakay, ed., John Wiley and Sons, New York, 683–705 (1965).Google Scholar
- 7.B. J. S. Wilkins and R. Dutton, Static Fatigue Limit with Particular Reference to Glass, J. Am. Ceram. Soc., 59, 3–4, 108–12 (1976).Google Scholar
- 8.T. A. Michalske, The Stress Corrosion Limit: Its Measurement and Application, in: Fracture Mechanics of Ceramics, Vol. 5, R. C. Bradt et al., ed., Plenum Press, New York, 277–89 (1983).Google Scholar
- 13.V. M. Sglavo, D. J. Green, S. W. Martz and R. E. Tressler, in: Fracture Mechanics of Ceramics, Vol. 12, R. C. Bradt et al., ed., Plenum Press, New York, 167–77 (1996).Google Scholar
- 14.V.M. Sglavo and S. Renzi, Fatigue Limit in Borosilicate Glass by Interrupted Static Fatigue Test, Phys. Chem. Glasses, 40, 2, 79–84 (1999).Google Scholar
- 15.V. M. Sglavo and D. J. Green, Indentation Determination of Fatigue Limits in Silicate Glasses, J. Am. Ceram. Soc., 00 (1999).Google Scholar
- J. E. Shelby, Introduction to Glass Science and Technology, The Royal Society of Chemistry, Cambridge, UK (1997).Google Scholar