I grew up in a small rural community in the Southeast, the oldest son of a poor family. From the beginning my interest in education was stimulated by my teachers and friends. After completion of my rotating internship I returned to my childhood hometown and established a solo practice. For many of the townspeople their paperboy became their physician. From the beginning I was attracted to teaching. After seven years I left my practice for additional training to prepare for a second professional vocation. In that process I have had a variety of experiences, including training in internal medicine and neurology. Since 1970 I have taught and handled administration in the area of family practice. I have experienced more variety than most people in my professional life.
KeywordsFamily Physician Family Practice Personal Life Professional Life Marital Relationship
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Duffy JC: Emotional Issues in the Lives of Physicians. Springfield, Ill, Thomas, 1970Google Scholar
- 2.Freud S: On Creativity and the Unconscious. New York, Harper & Row, 1958Google Scholar
- 3.Fromm E: The Art of Loving. New York, Harper & Row, 1956Google Scholar
- 4.Goble F: The Third Force. New York, Pocket Books, 1971Google Scholar
- 5.Harrison TR: Our priceless possession. Ala J Med Sci 8:3, 1971Google Scholar
- 6.James W: The Varieties of Religious Experience. New York, Modern Library, 1943Google Scholar
- 7.Klemme HL: Crises of the later years. Unpublished paper, 1972Google Scholar
- 8.Letter to Dad from a doctor’s daughter. Physician’s Management, October 1975, pp 25–27Google Scholar
- 9.Maslow AH: Motivation and Personality. New York, Harper & Row, 1954Google Scholar
- 11.Shakespeare W: As You Like It. Act II, Scene viiGoogle Scholar
- 12.Taubman RE: Clin Psychiat News 2:2, 1974Google Scholar
- 13.Taubman RE, Lief H: Doctors and marriage. The special pressures. Med World News, February 7, 1977Google Scholar
- 14.Vincent MO: The doctor’s marriage and family. Nova Scotia Med Bull 50:143, 1971Google Scholar