Inhibition of Experimental Intraocular Proliferation and Retinal Detachment by Various Drugs
Animal models have been developed to study intraocular cellular proliferation and retinal detachments, and the influence of various drugs on these processes. Experimental retinal detachments in animal models have been produced with numerous agents. Retinal detachments of rabbit eyes were produced with intravitreal blood injections by Freilich (1), and with different inflammatory agents by Landholm (2). Foulds (3), and Machemer and Norton (4) produced detachments in rabbit and monkey eyes using a combination of iatrogenic retinal holes and Hyaluronidase. Kloti (5) injected plastic beads into the central retinal artery to produce detachments, and Algvere (6) combined embolization of the central retinal artery, occlusion of the vortex veins, and injection of intravitreal Hyaluronidase to produce detachments with proliferative vitreoretinopathy (PVR).
KeywordsIntravitreal Injection Vitreous Cavity Central Retinal Artery Retinal Damage Proliferative Vitreoretinopathy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Machemer R, Norton E WD (1976): Experimental retinal detachment in the owl monkey. 1. Methods of production and clinical picture. Amer J Ophthalmol 66:3–388.Google Scholar
- 7.Muller-Jensen K, Mandelcorn MS (1975): Membrane formation by autotransplanted retinal pigment epithelium (RPE). Mod Probl Ophthal Vol 15:22, Basel: S Karger.Google Scholar
- 8.Machemer R, Laqua R (1975): Pigment epithelium proliferation in retinal detachment (massive periretinal proliferation). Amer J Ophthalmol 80:1.Google Scholar
- 9.Algvere P, Kock E (1976): Experimental fibroplasia in the rabbit vitreous. Retinal detachment induced by autologous fibroblasts. Av Grafes Arch Klin Exp Ophthal 99:115.Google Scholar
- 12.Sugita G, Tano Y, Machemer R (1980): Intravitreal autotransplantation of fibroblasts. Amer J Ophthalmol 89:121.Google Scholar
- 15.Bonnet M, Remy C (1982): Auto-immunity against the retina and massive vitreoretinal retrac-tion. Presented during the XIII meeting of the Jules Gonin Club, Cordoba, March 29.Google Scholar
- 16.Remy C (1981): Recherche de Pautoimmunité contre la retine dans les décollements retinieus idiopathiques. Etude de 50 cas J Fr Ophthalmol Vol 4, 3:213.Google Scholar
- 18.Tano Y, Chandler E, Machemer R (1980): Treatment of intraocular proliferation with in-travitreal injection of Triamcinolol acetonide. Amer J Ophthalmol 90:810.Google Scholar