Management of Complicated Cataracts Using Vitrectomy Instruments
Complicated congenital cataracts such as those associated with persistent hyperplastic primary vitreous (PHPV) were previously thought to be inoperable. However, utilizing the instrumentation and techniques developed for pars plana surgery (1, 2, 3) we are now able to successfully treat a variety of problems affecting the anterior segment. These techniques utilize a “closed eye” system which maintains the normal configuration of the globe and provides normal or elevated intraocular pressure during surgery. Modern instrumentation permits precise control for excising intraocular tissue, enabling one to remove lens material without damaging other tissues. Direct visualization of intraocular structures is provided by fiberoptic intraocular illumination. Other techniques such as intraocular diathermy may be used to dissect tissue planes. Herein we present the surgical techniques we have utilized in treating PHPV, our postoperative results, and our views on the surgical management of uncomplicated congenital cataracts.
KeywordsRetinal Detachment Angle Closure Glaucoma Congenital Cataract Vitreous Surgery Bipolar Diathermy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Machemer R, Parel JM, Beutner H (1972): A new concept for vitreous surgery: 1. Instrumentation. Am J Ophthalmol 73:107.Google Scholar
- 2.Michels RG, Stark, WJ (1976): Symposium: Pars plana vitrectomy: Vitrectomy technique in anterior segment surgery. Trans Am Acad Ophthalmol Otolaryngol 81:382–390.Google Scholar
- 3.Taylor HR, Michels RG, Stark WJ (1979): Vitrectomy methods in anterior segment surgery. Ophthalmic Surg 10:22–58.Google Scholar
- 4.Sheie HG (1960): Aspiration of congenital or soft cataracts: A new technique. Am J Opht halmol 50:1048–1056.Google Scholar
- 5.Maurmenee AE (1969): Aspiration techniques for congenital cataracts. In Welsh RC, Welsh J (eds .) : The new report on cataract surgery. Miami: Miami Educational Press, 419–423.Google Scholar
- 6.Von Norden GK, Ryan SJ, Maumenee AE (1970): Management of congenital cataracts. Trans Anm Acad Ophthalmol Otolaryngol; 74:352–359.Google Scholar
- 7.Park MM, Hiles DA (1967): Management of infantile cataracts. Am J Ophthalmol; 63:10–19.Google Scholar
- 10.Smith RE, Maumenee AE (1974): Persistent hyperplastic primary vitreous: results of surgery. Trans Am Acad Ophthalmol Otolaryngol 78:OP 911–925.Google Scholar