The Health Care Professional’s Workstation: Its Functional Components and User Impact
Our purpose in this chapter is to describe selected requirements for a health care professional’s workstation (PWS). We focus on the use of a PWS as an intelligent intermediary between a provider and an integrated hospital information system (HIS).
KeywordsHospital Information System Computerize Tomogra External System Medical Information System Discourse Manager
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bergeron, B.P., and R.A. Greenes. 1987. Intelligent visual input: A graphical method for rapid entry of patient-specific data. In Proceedings of the Eleventh Annual Symposium on Computer Applications in Medical Care, 281–286.Google Scholar
- Blois, M.S., and E.H. Shortliffe. 1990. The computer meets medicine: emergence of a discipline. In Medical informatics: Computer applications in health care, ed. E.H. Shortliffe, L.E. Perreault, G. Wiederhold, and L.M. Fagan. Reading, Mass.: Addison-Wesley.Google Scholar
- Cimino, J.J., and G.O. Barnett. 1987. The physician’s workstation: recording a physical examination using a controlled vocabulary. In Proceedings of the Eleventh Annual Symposium on Computer Applications in Medical Care, 287–291.Google Scholar
- Hammond, W.E., W.W. Stead, S.J. Feagin, B.A. Brantley, and M.J. Straube. 1984. Data base management system for ambulatory care. In Information systems for patient care, ed. B.I. Blum et al. New York: Springer-Verlag.Google Scholar
- Prokosch, H.U., and T.A. Pryor. 1988. Intelligent data acquisition in order entry programs. In Proceedings of the Twelfth Annual Symposium on Computer Applications in Medical Care, 454–458.Google Scholar
- Smith, S.L., and J. Mosier. 1986. Design guidelines for user-system interface software. Report ES D-TR-86–278, MTR-10096. Bedford, Mass.: MITRE Corp.Google Scholar
- Stead, W.W., and W.E. Hammond. 1987. Demand-oriented medical records: toward a physician workstation. In Proceedings of the Eleventh Annual Symposium on Computer Applications in Medical Care, 275–280.Google Scholar
- Goodwin, N.C. 1988. User system interface: Designing for usability, M88–54. Bedford, Mass.: MITRE Corp.Google Scholar
- Heilander, M., ed. 1988. The handbook of human-computer interaction. New York: North-Holland/Elsevier.Google Scholar
- Laurel, B., ed. 1990. The art of human-computer interface design. Reading, Mass.: Addison-Wesley.Google Scholar
- Mountford, S.J. 1989. Drama and personality in user interface design. In Proceedings of the ACM CHI’ 89 Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems. New York: ACM, 105–108.Google Scholar
- Silva, J.S., A.J. Zawilski, J. O’Brian, et al. 1990. The physician workstation: An intelligent “front end” to a hospital information system. In Proceedings of the Fourteenth Annual Symposium on Computer Applications in Medical Care, 764–768.Google Scholar