In Chapter 1, we considered the free vibrations of a two-mass system with three springs of equal stiffness; we found that there were two normal modes of vibration. Such a system could have been viewed as consisting of two separate mass/spring vibrators coupled together by the center spring (see Fig. 1.20). If the coupling spring were made successively weaker, the two modes would become closer and closer in frequency.
KeywordsNormal Mode Modal Analysis Frequency Response Function Equivalent Electrical Circuit Normal Mode Frequency
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Allemang, R.J., and Brown, D.L. (1987). Experimental modal analysis. In “Handbook of Experimental Mechanics” ( A.S. Kabayashi ed.). Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey.Google Scholar
- Clough, R.W. (1960). The finite method in plane stress analysis. Proc. 2nd ASCE Conf. on Electronic Computation, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.Google Scholar
- Ewins, D.J. (1984). “Modal Testing: Theory and Practice.” Research Studies Press, Letchworth, England.Google Scholar
- French, A.P. (1971) “Vibrations and Waves,” W.W. Norton, New York.Google Scholar
- Gough, C E. (1981). The theory of string resonances on musical instruments. Acustica 49, 124–141.Google Scholar
- Halvorsen, W.G., and Brown, D.L. (1977). Impulse techniques for structural frequency response testing. Sound and Vibration 11 (11), 8–21.Google Scholar
- Jacobson, L.S., and Ayre, R.S. (1958). “Engineering Vibrations.” McGraw-Hill, New York.Google Scholar
- Jansson, E., Bork, I., and Meyer, J. (1986). Investigation into the acoustical properties of the violin. Acustica 62, 1–15.Google Scholar
- Kindel, J. and Wang, I. (1987), Modal analysis and finite element analysis of a piano soundboard, Proc. 5th Intl Conf. on Modal Analysis (IMAC), 1545–1549.Google Scholar
- Marshall, K.D. (1987). Modal analysis: A primer on theory and practice. J. Catgut Acoust. Soc. 46, 7–17.Google Scholar
- Popp, J., Hansen, U., Rossing. T.D., and Strong, W.Y. (1985). Modal analysis of classical and folk guitars (abstract). J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 77, S45.Google Scholar
- Ramsey, K.A. (1975/1976). Effective measurements for structural dynamics testing. Sound and Vibration 9 (11), 24–34; 10 (4), 18–31.Google Scholar
- Rieger, N.F. (1986). The relationship between finite element analysis and modal analysis. Sound and Vibration 20 (1), 20–31.Google Scholar