Carleman Estimates for a Plate Equation on a Riemann Manifold with Energy Level Terms
We provide Carleman estimates for an Euler-Bernoulli type plate equation with energy level terms, defined on an open bounded set Ω of a finite-dimensional Riemann manifold (M, g). The energy level for this problem is H 3(Ω) × H 1(Ω). The basic assumption made is the existence of a strictly convex function on Ω. Carleman estimates are also a critical springboard from which one may derive the a-priori inequalities of continuous observability/uniform stabilization of interest in control theory of PDEs.
KeywordsIntegral Term Unique Continuation Exact Controllability Carleman Estimate Plate Equation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Eller, M.:A remark on a theorem by Hörmander. Proceedings of 3rd International ISAAC Congress, Berlin, August 2001. World Scientific, Singapore, to appear.Google Scholar
- Gulliver, R., Littman, W.: The use of geometric tools in the boundary control of partial differential equations. Proceedings of 3rd International ISAAC Congress, Berlin, August 2001. World Scientific, Singapore, to appear.Google Scholar
- Hebey, E.: Sobolev spaces on Riemannian manifolds. Lecture Notes in Mathematics, Springer, Berlin, 1996.Google Scholar
- Lasiecka, I., Triggiani, R.: Exact controllability of the Euler-Bernoulli equation with Lz(E)-control only in the Dirichlet B.C. Atti Accad. Naz. Lincei Rend. Cl. Sc. Fis. Mat. Nat. Vol. LXXXII, No. 1 (1988), Rome.Google Scholar
- Lasiecka, I., Triggiani, R.: A-priori observability inequalities. Chapter 1, Lecture Notes, University of Virginia, May 1995.Google Scholar
- Lasiecka, I., Triggiani, R.: Carleman estimates and exact boundary controllability for a system of coupled, non-conservative second-order hyperbolic equations. Lecture Notes in Pure and Applied Mathematics 188, eds. J.P. Zolesio and G. Da Prato. Marcel Dekker, New York, 1997, 125–243.Google Scholar
- Lions, J.L.: Controllabilite exacte, stabilization et perturbation des systemes distribues. 1, Masson, Paris, 1988.Google Scholar
- Tataru, D.: A-priori pseudoconvexity energy estimates in domains with boundary and applications to exact boundary controllability for conservative PDEs. Ph.D. Thesis, University of Virginia, May 1992.Google Scholar
- Taylor, M.: Partial Differential Equations. 1, 2, Springer, Berlin etc. 1991.Google Scholar
- Triggiani, R.: Carleman estimates and exact boundary controllability for a system of coupled non-conservative Schrödinger equations. Rend. Istit. Math. Univ. Trieste (Italy), Suppl. Vol. XXVIII (1997), 453–504; volume in memory of P. Grisvard.Google Scholar
- Wu, H., Shen, C.L., Yu, Y.L.: An introduction to Riemann geometry. University of Beijing, 1989 (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Yao, P.F.: Observability inequalities for the Euler-Bernoulli plate with variable coefficients. Contemporary Mathematics, Amer. Math. Soc. 268 (2000), 383–406.Google Scholar