In our lifetime, education and research have been synonymous with books and print publications. Five centuries have passed since Gutenberg invented the printing press, but not even a decade since publication on the World Wide Web and widespread publication of educational material on CD-ROM. I recently received my subscription copy of Windows magazine, which contained a mailer for new subscriptions, but also an apparently hastily written note from the publisher in the contents section to the effect that this was the last print copy I would receive, that all future effort will be devoted to the Web version of their publication, and that I would be compensated in some way. Now, that is the sign of a revolution.
KeywordsAuthoring Tool Teaching File Medical Record Number Digital Revolution Radiology Education
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Avrin DE et al. Integration of a digital teaching file at the diagnostic workstation. SCAR 1996: 56–61.Google Scholar
- Bosak J, Bray T. XML and second-generation Web. Scientific American May, 89–93, 1999.Google Scholar
- Caramella D et al. European Radiology Online Database. RSNA inforad 1999. (http://www.eurorad.org)
- Chang PJ et al. Dynamic transfer syntax: A flexible representation and interactive image data delivery protocol for enterprise-wide image distribution and integration. Rsna 209: 677, 1998.Google Scholar
- Evans JD. How digital technology will revolutionize medical science and care. University of California, San Francisco presentation. June 27, 1999.Google Scholar
- Freckleton MW et al. Creating a Multi-Institutional Internet-based Teaching File with a Common Database Schema and Distributed Query. RSNA 83rd Scientific Assembly, November 1997. 205: 730, 1997.Google Scholar
- Jaffe CC, Lynch PJ. Educational challenges. Radiology Clinics of North America 34: 629, 1996.Google Scholar
- Mehta A, Dreyer K. Joseph E. Whitley Award. Association of University Radiologists, San Diego, CA. March, 1999.Google Scholar
- Mutalik P, Fisher P, Swett H. Radiologie knowledge representation and axis display in the IMAGE/ICON system. 1990: 185–190.Google Scholar
- Ramaswamy MR, Patterson DS, Yin L, Goodacre BW. MoSearch: A radiologist friendly Tool for Finding–based Diagnostic Report and Image Retrieval. RadioGraphics 1996; 16–923–933.Google Scholar
- Ramaswamy MR et al. Accessing picture archiving and communication system text and image information through personal computers. Ajr 163: 1229–1243, 1994.Google Scholar
- Seshadri SB, Arenson RL. The impact of PACS on research and education. 30: 263–266, 1992.Google Scholar
- Webb R. High Resolution Lung CT. The University of California San Francisco, Interactive Radiology Series. (CD-ROM) Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins, Hagerstown, MD, 2001.Google Scholar