Modern medical practice has a need for storing enormous amounts of data. In addition, special applications like telemedicine place special constraints on bandwidth requirements, or more simply put, on the amount of information that can be sent in a given period of time. Telemedicine uses telecommunications—that is, the transmission of medical images over standard telephone lines, with satellite connections, or over a local area network (LAN)—to transfer medical services and information from one location to another. This includes not only data from information systems and teleconferencing, but also images from teleradiology. Whenever there are space or bandwidth limitations, image compression should be considered. Images usually make up the bulk of medical data, so compressing them can greatly reduce space requirements.
KeywordsRoot Mean Square Deviation Image Compression Compression Method JPEG Compression Huffman Code
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- www.compression-pointers.com—Link to almost all other compression links
- cctpwww.cityu.edu.hk/public/graphics/g_std.htm—Graphics and multimedia standards and related information.
- Kay D, Levine J. Graphics File Formats. Windcrest/McGraw-Hill. New York 1992.Google Scholar
- Sonka M, Hlavac V, Boyle R. Image Processing, Analysis and Machine Vision. Chapman & Hill. London 1994.Google Scholar
- www.nema.org/nema/medical/dicom—DICOM home Web page.
- www.ncs.gov/n6/content/standard/html/ftr1062.htm—URL to purchase the standard. 18.ITU-T T.4 (1993.03) AMD2 08/95. Standardization of Group 3 Facsimile Apparatus for Document Transmission. AMD2 08/95.
- www.lib.ox.ac.uk/internet/news/faq/archive/jpeg-faq.partl.html—August 10, 1995. www.jpg.com—A program demonstration of JPEG (lossless and lossy) and wavelet compression.
- ISO/IEC 10918–1. Information technology—Digital compression and coding of continuous-tone still images: Requirements and guidelines. Geneva. 1994.Google Scholar
- Pennebaker J, Mitchell J. JPEG Still Image Data Compression Standard. Van Nostrand Reinhold. New York 1993.Google Scholar
- www.cselt.stet.it/mpeg—The MPEG home Web page. www.mpegl.de/mplinks html—Further MPEG links.