Hydro-Québec Reservoir Management with Wind Energy — The Modelling Approach
This paper presents an ongoing research project related to the integration of large wind power farms in the Quebec electricity network. Following a discussion on the opportunity of wind farms in the North America electricity context, the authors describe the use of a medium term generation planning model, to assess the impact of adding wind power to a system with a major hydroelectric component. The main elements of this model are briefly presented. Various ways of using the model are discussed, as well as the current limitations imposed by this model. Very preliminary results are presented.
The integration of large wind power farms is becoming an important economic and environmental issue and the analysis of its impact deserves research. This paper proposes an approach that could change planning practices for utilities interested in integrating large wind farms.
KeywordsWind Power Wind Farm River Section Reservoir Management Thermal Plant
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Belanger Camille, Gagnon Luc (2000), The neglected costs of wind-power, Rapport interne Hydro-Québec.Google Scholar
- Bertho Emmanuelle (1998), Optimisation de la gestion des reservoirs hydroélectriques Québécois avec un apport éolien, These de maitrise no. 492, INRS-Energie et Materiaux.Google Scholar
- Bertho Emmanuelle et Lafrance Gaëtan (1998), Le couplage hydro-eolien an Quebec et au Labrador, Revue de l’Énergie. Paris, no 501, 579–587.Google Scholar
- GERAD: Many works achieved to improve the MARKAL model or to model the energy exchange between networks.Google Scholar
- Lafrance Gaetan (2000), Wind energy performance in hydraulic network, CanWea Conference, Invited Seminar, Vancouver, Oct 22–26.Google Scholar
- Loulou Richard, Amit Kanudia (1999), Kyoto: Interprovincial cooperation and Energy trading, Energy Study Review, vol 9 no1, 1999.Google Scholar
- Mondou Jean-François (1995), Système Annuel de Gestion de l’Énergie (SAGE), Institut de recherche d’Hydro-Québec. Rapport IREQ-95–118.Google Scholar
- Regie de l’Energie, “Audience sur la proposition d’Hydro-Quebec”, Internet: http://www.regie-energie.qc.ca/300/311/main311.html, (1998).Google Scholar