The Role of Uncertainty in Systems Modeling
A personal account of the emergence and development of generalized information theory (GIT) in the context of data-driven (inductive) systems modeling. In GIT, information is defined in terms of relevant uncertainty reduction. Main results regarding measures of uncertainty and uncertainty-based information in Dempster-Shafer theory of evidence and in generalized possibility theory are overviewed, and their role in three basic uncertainty principles is discussed: the principles of maximum uncertainty, minimum uncertainty, and uncertainty invariance. Finally, some open problems and undeveloped areas in GIT are examined.
KeywordsShannon Entropy Uncertainty Theory Possibility Theory Focal Element Basic Probability Assignment
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ashby, W. R.  , “Systems and their informational measures.” In: Klir, G. J., ed., Trends in General Systems Theory. Wiley-Interscience, New York, pp. pp. 78–97.Google Scholar
- Hartley, R. V. L.  , “Transmission of information.” The Bell System Technical., 7(3), pp. 535–563.Google Scholar
- Jaynes, E. T.  , “Where do we stand on maximum entropy?” In: R.L.Levine and M.Tribus, (eds.), The Maximum Entropy Formalism. MIT Press, Cambridge, Mass., pp. 15–118.Google Scholar
- Klir, G. J.  , An Approach to General Systems Theory. Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York.Google Scholar
- Klir, G. J.  , “General systems framework for inductive modelling.” In: Oren, T. et al., eds., Simulation and Model-based Methodologies. Springer- Verlag, New York, pp. 69–90.Google Scholar
- Klir, G. J.  , “Inductive systems modelling: An overview.” In: Zeigler, B. P. et al., eds., Modelling and Simulation Methodology. North-Holland, New York, pp. 55–75.Google Scholar
- Klir, G. J.  , “On fuzzy-set interpretation of possibility theory.” Fuzzy Sets and Systems, 108(3)Google Scholar
- Klir, G. J. and Yuan, B.  , Fuzzy Sets and Fuzzy Logic: Theory and Applications. Prentice Hall, PTR, Upper Saddle River, NJ.Google Scholar
- Klir, G. J. and Yuan, B.  , “On nonspecificity of fuzzy sets with continuous membership functions.” Proc. 1995 Intern. Conf. on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Vancouver.Google Scholar
- Pan, Y. and Klir, G.J.  , “Bayesian inference based on interval probabilities.” J. of Intelligent and Fuzzy Systems, 5(3), pp. 193–203.Google Scholar
- Shafer G.  , A Mathematical Theory of Evidence. Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton, NJ.Google Scholar
- Zeigler, B. P.  , Multifaceted Modelling and Discrete Event Simulation. Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar