Reengineering the Veterans Healthcare System
The Veterans Health Administration (VHA) in the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) manages the largest fully integrated healthcare system in the United States. In 1995, the VHA initiated the most radical redesign of the veterans healthcare system to occur since the system was formally established in 1946. This chapter provides an overview of the veterans healthcare system, and it describes selected aspects of the system’s re-engineering. While still a work in progress, the first 5 years of this re-engineering effort have produced dramatic improvements in quality of care, access, and service satisfaction, while simultaneously documenting a 25% reduction in per patient costs.
KeywordsVeteran Administration Veteran Health Administration Full Time Equivalent Veteran Health Fiscal Year
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Booth, B.M., Ludke, R.L., Wakefield, D.S., et al. 1991. Non-Acute Days of Care Within Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Centers. Med Care 29SAS51-AS63.Google Scholar
- Chassin, M.R. 1996. Improving the Quality of Health Care: What Strategy Works? Bull NY Acad Med 73:81–91.Google Scholar
- Khuri, S.F., Daley, X., Henderson, W., et al. 1998. The Department of Veterans Affairs NSQIP: the First National, Validated, Outcome-Based, Risk-Adjusted and Peer-Controlled Program for the Measurement and Enhancement of the Quality of Surgical Care. Ann Surg 228:491–507.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kizer, K.W., ed. 1995. Vision for Change: A Plan to Restructure the Veterans Health Administration. Washington, DC: Department of Veterans Affairs.Google Scholar
- Kizer, K.W 1998. A Guidebook for VHA Medical Facility Integration. Washington, D.C.: Veterans Health Administration.Google Scholar
- Kizer, K.W., Ogden, J.E., Ray, J.E., 1997. Establishing a PBM: Pharmacy Benefits Management in the Veterans Health Care System. Drug Benefit Trends 9(8):24–27,47.Google Scholar
- Kizer, K.W., Cushing, T.S., Nishimi, R.Y. 2000. The VAs Role in Federal Emergency Management. Ann Emerg Med (in press).Google Scholar
- Veterans Health Administration. 1997. VERA—Veterans Equitable Resource Allocation. Washington, DC: Department of Veterans Affairs.Google Scholar
- Veterans Health Administration. 1998. VERA—Veterans Equitable Resource Allocation. Washington, DC: Department of Veterans Affairs.Google Scholar